1973 Trojan F25

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Judy

1973 Trojan F25

Post by Judy »

Just purchased the above and there was no depth finder. Does anyone know the original make of depth finder for the 1973 Trojan F25 and where to get one? Also, can someone tell me a brand that is compatible with this boat? Thank you
seawolf

1973 Trojan F25

Post by seawolf »

I have an original depth sounder and transducer for a 1977 F25, still in the original box, never used! interested?
chucka
Sporadic User

depthsounder advice

Post by chucka »

Unless you are a classic boat collector, trying to "keep it original" my recommendation is to buy a new depthsounder. - Given advances in electronics over the last 30+years, putting in the original would be akin to using oil lamps for reading lights. There are many low cost (less than $200) full featured models available that will perform light years ahead of a 30 year old unit.

Your biggest decision will be if you want a through hull, inside or transom mounted transducer. Through-hull will give the best performance, but the boat must come out of the water to allow a hole to be made for transducer installation. Inside mounted transducers can be mounted with the boat in the water and send the sonar signal through the fiberglass hull but have to be coupled to the hull properly. Sometimes this is done with mineral oil. Sometimes with an adhesive. The transom mount is easiest if the boat is out of the water. I wouldn't try mounting one of these with the boat in the water. You need space on the transom, (far enough away from the prop) Trim tabs might get in the way. With an inboard, where the prop is forward of transom mounted transducers may up noise from the prop causing erratic depth readings. I put a Hummingbird Matrix 17 on my F26 this spring with a transom mounted transducer, and am getting good performance (after adjusting the sensitivity, noise filter and surface clutter settings). The transducer is mounted on the transom within an inch of the starboard side of the hull. (as far away from the prop as it can be) My boat is not very fast. Transdom mounted units on faster boats tend to cavitate as the hull lifts out of the water when the boat is on a plane. If you are going over 25 knots I don't think this should be a big issue. Regards, Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI
larglo
Moderate User
Location: Mt Juliet, TN. Percy Prist Lake, Fate Sanders Marina

Post by larglo »

Seawolf,

Do you still have that depth sounder?

Thanks, Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
http://www.photobucket.com/larglo
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Larry you could try a PM but the last time they were on here was almost 5 years ago.

Why not get somthing more up to date ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Judy, my F26 has the original depth indicator, and it works well, but I bought a nice Garmin (super bright) color fishfinder for about $200. I installed the transducer on the transom just inboard of the trim tab. I ran the transducer wire up to about swim platform level where it goes through the transom. A stainless steel clamshell covers the 3/4" hole (arrrgghh!) that you must drill for the transducer plug to fit thru and filled it and the hole with 3M's marine 5200. Fill all the scew holes and cover the screw heads with 5200 too. Hardest part was fishing the power and transducer wires down from the top of the instrument panel. I can send pics if you'd like.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

prowlersfish wrote:Larry you could try a PM but the last time they were on here was almost 5 years ago.
Did you not see their post right above Larry's, they are on here now. I am finding the database is broken... tried to find all posts from a user and it gave zero!
The lack of google ads may be related to weird things with the forum lately.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

I don't know how this works but Seawolf's post was from 2005.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

ready123 wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:Larry you could try a PM but the last time they were on here was almost 5 years ago.
Did you not see their post right above Larry's, they are on here now. I am finding the database is broken... tried to find all posts from a user and it gave zero!
The lack of google ads may be related to weird things with the forum lately.

the last post from them was Sun Jul 17, 2005
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

My bad...
I stand corrected, that post is dated 2005.
Now I understand why you gave Larry the Newbie of the year award! :wink:

I guess we need to discuss the issue of restarting old threads on Forums are best done by "using the new thread post" route rather than reply.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

see :shock:
MTP
Moderate User

Post by MTP »

is this the point at which we hijack the thread?
TIKI III
1985 F32
270 Crusaders
Wet and happy
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 9727_n.jpg
larglo
Moderate User
Location: Mt Juliet, TN. Percy Prist Lake, Fate Sanders Marina

Post by larglo »

From 2005? :shock:

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT