F32---replacing gas pick-up

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fpawn1

F32---replacing gas pick-up

Post by fpawn1 »

Started a project that is a nightmare!!! I was repairing my onian 6.5 gen set and found there was a fuel restricktion. I decide to check pick-up in gas tank and the brass reducing fitting broke off at the top leaving the threads still connected to tank. tried to back it out and could not. The tanks are gal..steel tanks and i don;t need any more problems. Any ideas? How to get the threads off the tank so i can put a new fitting

Any help is appreciated
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

If the thread portion is what's showing, you may be able to try this.

Being brass, you could take a hack saw blade covered with grease and by hand only, carefully cut down through the threads in two-three places. Once this is done, carefully picking and prying the threaded portion, you should be able to remove. The brass won't cause a spark if you don't cut through to the steel and go real slow with the tank vented. And the grease will catch any filings as you cut. Clean the blade periodically. Or, if there is enough brass for a small pipe wrench to lock onto, you maybe able to back it out.

No one dreams of cutting around a fuel tank so I suggest this as a discretionary procedure.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
turtlem1969
Moderate User

Post by turtlem1969 »

go to your local hardware store and ask them for an easy out that is designed for removing busted off threaded pipe, forget what they are called but I used them often in the plumbing business, they are not very expensive, they fit down inside the threaded portion and when you go to back it out the tool expands and grips the inside.
BJ

1972 F25HT "Billy Bob"
1974 36' Tri-Cabin
Rodman
Moderate User

Re: F32---replacing gas pick-up

Post by Rodman »

fpawn1 wrote:Started a project that is a nightmare!!! I was repairing my onian 6.5 gen set and found there was a fuel restricktion. I decide to check pick-up in gas tank and the brass reducing fitting broke off at the top leaving the threads still connected to tank. tried to back it out and could not. The tanks are gal..steel tanks and i don;t need any more problems. Any ideas? How to get the threads off the tank so i can put a new fitting

Any help is appreciated

pull the tank
Trojan
** F25 Hardtop - Express - 1974 - 25 ft
** F26 Hardtop - Express - 1971 - 26 ft
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Spray the fitting down with PB Blaster, measure the inside diameter of the brass fitting, go to an auto parts store and buy an Easy Out that will start into the fitting but is larger than the hole. Spray again with PB Blaster and let soak a day or two. Fitting should screw right out with Easy Out.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
Rodman
Moderate User

Post by Rodman »

Take a photo of it so we can see what your referring too.
Trojan
** F25 Hardtop - Express - 1974 - 25 ft
** F26 Hardtop - Express - 1971 - 26 ft
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Rodman wrote:Take a photo of it so we can see what your referring too.

I think we know what they are refering to , broken fitting on top of the tank for the pick up tube

Good ad vice on taking it out above
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

The Easy-Out will work.

If you've never worked with Easy-Outs - be careful - they are brittle, and can break off if bent/twisted, so keep it straight, and go slow. If you break it off, you are in trouble, because nothing will remove the Easy-Out without making a spark, so - BE CAREFFUL. It wil come out.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17