hull construction?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

wowzer52
Active User

hull construction?

Post by wowzer52 »

Does anybody know how the bottom of the 1975 F32 is constructed? If it is solid fiberglass, glassed over plywood core, or some other kind of glass covered core. I'm new to the Trojan site but have been boating forty five years, since I was ten years old, (10' wood row boat on the Cowlitz River in Washington state) I just bought this boat and while I was replacing a prop I Used a rubber hammer to tap the bottom. In between the stringers the bottom sounded very hollow and not soft to push on but when tightening the prop with a wrench and hitting the wrench with my hand aggressively, I saw the fiberglass around both struts seemed to have some flex. I checked the inside and noticed a solid wood backing plate on the inside, however the flex around these struts has me curious. Any Ideas? Mike
raymond workman

bottom

Post by raymond workman »

I have a 75 f30 and i have the inside completley removed and i can tell you the sides are some what transparent from the inside with it light out side the bottom looks to be aswell with the exception if the stringers the bottom seens to be a solid fiberglass. Thats all i know about that maybe someone else knows more.
Last edited by raymond workman on Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75 trojan 30 ft 302 express fb
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

The hull of my F-36 is solid fiberglass. Yes, you can see the light shining through it in places where it is not bottom painted. I've not heard of any Trojans that had coring of any kind in the hull, only solid glass. I know for a fact my F-36 has balsa coring in the foredeck, flybridge floor and gunwales but not in the hull.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The hull is solid glass ( stringers are wood core ) the decks are cored balsa like danny says
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
wowzer52
Active User

hull construction?

Post by wowzer52 »

Thanks guys, thats one more thing I don't have to worry about. I get nervous thinking about this boat being on the pacific northwest waters for 30 yrs with only one tiny little bilge pump in the bow and having a thin hull between the stringers. I'm in the process of installing more bilge pumps, 1100 in the bow, 1100 in the engine compartment and a 1500 in the back. I've been reading your info about roof leaks and I'll be attacking that next, I've got water coming down the control cables into the bilge via the electrical wires to the sbd saddle tank and down, ugh, then the door roller issue, a gasoline sniffer in the bilge, a propane sniffer in the galley, the bottom gets paint and zincs this month at which time the shafts will be checked and I think one is out a little, then bridge canvas and mooring cover, then I can refit the radar arch, then install electronics on the bridge, I haven't decided what kind of heater to put on the bridge, but I do have a Dickinson propane heater and propane galley stove with the propane tank stored on the bridge so maybe some small catalitic type might fit up there somewhere. Then carpet, new lighting, larger poop tank, lots of wiring and rewiring, an addition of another red dot cabin heater, where, I don't know, But if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy, then when the weather gets better I can do all the brightwork, mount dingy davits and zodiac, more deck lighting, bumper racks, and @#$%^ and %$^&*....... on and on. thanks again. If you have any suggestions on any of these projects, I always like ideas that make life easier. thanks, Mike