Sliding glass door rollers

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

philip

Sliding glass door rollers

Post by philip »

I can not find sliding glass door roller replacements for a 1987 f-32
can you help me? There are steel ones without the nylon coating or they are all nylon and don't look beefy enough to hold the wieght??
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Is it the 'door roller kit' that Beacon has on the site http://www.trojanboats.net/zencart/inde ... 20a&page=2 ?
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I replaced mine about 5 years ago. Same rollers, different price.
It'll make all the difference in the world and very easy to do.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

How easy?
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

wowzer52 wrote:How easy?
20-30 minutes. You need to pull the door and lower track/sill out, then you can replace the rollers with the door on it's side or edge.

Remove the lower door sill from the outside, there are about 6 screws which go in horizontally. Now open the door and pull/lift outwards on the sill, tilt the salon door out of the upper track guide. You can now slide lower track/sill off door. Reverse procedure once you've replace the roller kit. Put some caulking around and behind the sill when screwing back together.

Easy with two people, don't ask how much easier! :wink:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

How much easier?...just kidding :D .Thanks stripermann, I'll look it over when I get back to the boat.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Wowzer, Just realized the year of your 32...you have a different door so I'm not sure if your sill and lower track is the same removal procedure.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Sounds like your '85 is slightly different than the setup on my '79, so don't know if mine would be a better example for wowzer.

I have a trim / sill piece that is essentially an L-angle, about a half dozen screws holding it down. Remove the screws (you need to remove some with door open and some with door closed as it always covers at least one of them) and pull the L-angle out.

At the top of the door - on both edges - there is a little block screwed or bolted on that limits how high the door can be lifted (they hit the upper track when you lift). Remove these two blocks so you can lift the door higher.

Then all that's left is to lift the door straight up and 'kick' the bottom edge out (aft, into the cockpit). You may need a second person to help it along by getting down on the floor and helping to lift the rollers out of the track they are in (just using screw driver as a lever works).

Re-installation is the reverse. Put top of door in first, swing bottom into place. Second set of hands to make sure rollers end up in the right spot, lifting them as necessary. Make sure you are where you want to be by sliding the door back and forth a few times to make sure it moves freely. Then put the two little blocks back on, and reinstall the L-angle piece.
RickMid

Post by RickMid »

captainmaniac wrote:Is it the 'door roller kit' that Beacon has on the site http://www.trojanboats.net/zencart/inde ... 20a&page=2 ?
It lists two roller sizes, 1" and 1.375". Does anyone know which one is used for the Internationals? Thanks....

Rickmid
Rick
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

thanks guys. I owe you one.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

A couple of minor corrections... the little block that stops you from lifting the door is only on one end (the trailing edge) of the door, and there is a rubber stopper that also has to be removed with the L-angle. Here are a some pics.

L-angle itself runs almost the full length of the area that the door slides in.
057dd7ea.jpg
057dd7ea.jpg (49.32 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Fastened down by a half dozen screws. Open the salon door and pull what you can, then close the door and pull the rest. This shot is taken from inside.
cd96263e.jpg
cd96263e.jpg (53.16 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
The little rubber stop that the door bumps up against when you open it to the max also has to come off - there is a screw hidden underneath it.
8c44d25d.jpg
8c44d25d.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Then there is this one single block (that normally keeps you from lifting the door out of its track) at the top of the trailing edge of the door that has to come off.
d8dc722f.jpg
d8dc722f.jpg (34.56 KiB) Viewed 1589 times

Then lift, and pull out from the base as described before.

Good luck!
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Good job detailing how to remove the door!

The door and track on the earlier models is different in a few subtle ways than on later models.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Yea baby, mine is just a tad different, no rubber stop, I have a finger getter, but this gives me a good idea of the process and modifications. thanks.