Here she is.....65 Trojan

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jblack1036

Here she is.....65 Trojan

Post by jblack1036 »

Well, we finally got her to her new home. Enjoy the pics.

She's a little weathered looking but she is in really good shape. Nothing that a little bit of elbow greese can't fix.

Image[/img]
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

Looks really nice, congrats and good luck on the work ahead..........John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Looks great! Hopefully you won't find to much in the way of major repairs. Good luck with it.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Nice
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Very nice, congrats and good luck.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

SWEET !!!

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Very nice, congratulations. :)
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Yes - very nice! But you need more supports along the keel or you will warp the crap out of her. Make sure you have something right at the transom, just ahead of the tail end of the keel, and maybe even another one between that and your forward blocks. Its hard to tell exactly how far from the bow the first set of blocks is - if more than 6' you may want some additional support forward.

45 year old wood gets a bit soft and fasteners loosen over time, so something that age needs good blocking and proper support to keep her shape.
jblack1036

Post by jblack1036 »

@ captainmaniac, Yes, I agree. But who am I to argue with the boat haulers who have been doing this for my Grandfather for many many years. I don't plan to have it on the block/barrels for too long. I have a trailer I'm working on now that will accomdate it. Just trying to design the the best way of adding a C-Channel to the center of the trailer that will house a rolling center to make launching and recieving much more delicate to the boat and keel.

Thank you all for the comments. I can't wait to start tinkering with her.....I'm thinking of re-naming her "Borrowed Time" or "Driftwood" or "Timeless"
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Nice looking boat. Is that another older Trojan across the street in the second photo?
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You need to get some support under the rear of the keel .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

Congrats-- Brings back memories. My first boat, other than runabouts was a 1965 Trojan 31 ft lapstrake flybridge with a pair of Interceptor 210's (Ford 289 ci). Good boat. Now have a 1978 F32. Had her since 1986.
Keep her in Mystic CT.
Bob
jblack1036

Post by jblack1036 »

@ prowlerfish, the boat haulers explained to me that it's good to go. Who am I to argue with a team who has been doing this for years. But I'll probably end up going out and putting someadditional support under her. One other poster recommended that I add additional support as well. My Grandfather, who previously owned the boat, used to run a marina and stored boats during the winter seasons and used those haulers all the time without any incodents. So I'm just assuming they know what they are doing. But thank you for the recommendation. I know I was pretty much on edge the hole time they loaded it and off loaded it.

@ K9th, No, that is not a trojan across the street in the background, I believe that is a Marienette and my Dad's boat , an Owens, sitting next to it....

@ rmatt, That boat had a ton of memories for me. I am so happy to have the opportunity to take over the helm. The best part now is that I can hang my feet over the front bow and not get yelled at. :-)....
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Way to go. Glad you got her home. Deffinitely have to agree with previous posts on supporting the keel further aft also. Unlike fibergalss boats, a wooden boat must bear it's wieght on it's spine; that's the keel. One or two jack stands on port and starb to keep it from tipping is all you need after that. Fiberglass boat trailers come with rollers and spread the load over the a large surface of the hull. This is not the case for a wooden hull. I'm glad they didn't use a trailer with rollers, it's an easy way to crack a rib. Keep this in mind when you put your trailer together.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year