Fuel Tank Problem Returns

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Fuel Tank Problem Returns

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Looks like I still have a fuel tank problem in my F-32. I know it is a tank issue because I can switch tanks and run through the same filters and the engine runs fine.

I think I have rust in the tank that slides to the back and plugs the uptake line when I am in rough seas and on plane.

It never plugs up in calm seas or just idling out the channel.

Has anyone removed their tanks and cleaned them or do you have a suggestion on how to fix this without removing the tank?

Port tank is fine. Starboard is the one with the issue.

I Have used the Startron Tank cleaner a couple of times so I don't think it is sludge so it must be rust or something else plugging up the line.

I've checked the backflow preventer and it is clear so it must be at the bottom of the tank.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

TADTOOMUCH,
That was one of the first things I had to do with my little 26fter. I was replacing the deck anyway so I ripped it up and removed the tank. The bottom third of the tank was full of this stuff that looked like oatmeal. This was so thick it would not move. I hit the inside with water and it fill out, I never seen so much S%$# if you know what I mean. I have not had a problem with the tank from that day forward. Just my fuel pump was bad, oh by the way the electric pump works great, I get all the RPM I want for as long as I want it. :D
Rick 1976 Trojan E-26 Express 351 FI
Info@emaltd.com
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Two things come to mind...

1- Be absolutely sure it's not the antisyphon valve, it'll fool you. You can take the spring and valve out of it, try running your boat and see.

2- Possibility that the pick-up itself has a pinhole leak(s) along it's length somewhere in the tank and when the fuel level is below a certain point, it will not draw anymore fuel, because it's sucking air.

Hope this helps.

Ohhh...One more thing. As I have mentioned before, be sure to have the fuel manifold closed off the other tanks not being used, if you have the 4 tank set-up! Otherwise, they will draw air from an empty tank. Run one tank for both engines or two tanks, one for each engine only.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

tank problem

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Thought of that already but thanks. I was able to run it to empty at end of last year on smooth seas and I aleady ran it without the anti-siphon and had same PRoblem in rougher seas. Almost like something floating around in tank plugs up line when tank sloshes around.

tham57

Re: tank problem

Post by tham57 »

TADTOOMUCH wrote:Thought of that already but thanks. I was able to run it to empty at end of last year on smooth seas and I aleady ran it without the anti-siphon and had same PRoblem in rougher seas. Almost like something floating around in tank plugs up line when tank sloshes around.
Wish I had a more positive answer but I ran into the same problem. I actually took the tanks out and flushed them. An ugly, dangerous job with the hard galvanized plumbing. The stuff that came out looked like pepto bismol. I went the rest of the year and decided ethanol and a thirty year old galvanized fuel tank and old lines were not going to cut it. I had two custom square tanks (98 gal ea.) made for the under cockpit area, and removed the saddle tanks and replaced them with two 70 gallon water tanks. I just run out some water if the boat needs more ass end weight as the gas tanks empty. The other advantage is I don't have worry about using up the back tanks because I always ran the front down first for handling purposes.

I'm real happy with the new setup and I still have almost 7 hours of range. (Not that with gas at almost 5 bucks I am going to need it.
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

I used an old in tank fuel pump I had laying around from a ford truck. It fits in the sending unit hole. I took the filter off the bottom of it. The thing sucked up all kinds of garbage. If you want to borrow it let me know. My dad lives in Holland off of Aneline and Lakewood.
Better than I deserve
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Fuel Tank Cleaning

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I may have to resort to that type of action after I get some of the fuel out of the tank through normal use. I can idle along fine or run full out with smooth seas and not have any problems. So I hope I can run it almost dry and then use a hand cranked pump to remove the stuff in the bottom through the sending unit hole. If that doesn't do the trick then I'll pull the tank at the end of the season. I really don't want to use an electric pump with an open tank half full of fumes. It's bad enough having to deal with this at all. I just got all the fittings set with no leaks so the less I have to do with this the better.