Work on Bottom Hull Completed

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

BOTTOM PAINT

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Glad to see that you used Hydrocoat. That is what I was planning to paint mine with. I did not have to do the extensive job you did on paint removal as mine was stripped to the gel coat about 6 years ago and painted with Awl Grip Awlstar but I can't justify putting that on at over $240 per gallon in the Great Lakes region. I have heard good and bad about Hydrocoat but we will see over the next couple seasons.

I splash on the 13th.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Finished Painting

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

Well I finished painting the hull and it looks beautiful. I put three coats on the sides and stern and two on the bottom. I went on very easy and the color is very nice deep black.

After a little research online, I see that most people having issues with Hydrocoat are in warm salt or brackish water. With my boat being in the cool fresh water of Lake Michigan, I think this paint will do fine. At $119.00 per gallon with a $10.00 rebate, it was worth a try.

Every time I paint the bottom I forget what a pain in the butt, arms, legs, back it is but doing it myself saves a ton of money I can use on fuel.

Less than two weeks to splash.

k9th
Ultimate User

Re: Finished Painting

Post by k9th »

TADTOOMUCH wrote:Well I finished painting the hull and it looks beautiful. I put three coats on the sides and stern and two on the bottom. I went on very easy and the color is very nice deep black.

After a little research online, I see that most people having issues with Hydrocoat are in warm salt or brackish water. With my boat being in the cool fresh water of Lake Michigan, I think this paint will do fine. At $119.00 per gallon with a $10.00 rebate, it was worth a try.

Every time I paint the bottom I forget what a pain in the butt, arms, legs, back it is but doing it myself saves a ton of money I can use on fuel.

Less than two weeks to splash.
Good deal Tom - maybe I'll get to see it this year. Did you take any pics to share?
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Pictures of Bottom Paint Job

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

When they pull it out of the storage building just before launch I will get some photos. It is too dark in there now to get a good picture.

TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

Pictures

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

I hope this photo attached properly
[/img]http://x.co/j4OO

k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Don't know why it didn't load, but here it is

Looks really good Tom - great job!
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

My 10 meter is being painted today. the last time it was done was 2004 and past due. Hope it looks as good as yours when done.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express