Newbie handling question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

00GTP

Newbie handling question

Post by 00GTP »

Hi, need a few tips on handling - I have heard that on twin-screw boats, you can get the boat to move sideways by judicious use of the trannys and rudders.
I haven't had a chance to try it yet, and figured before I did, I'd ask how.
I'm sure there are some handling gurus out there who can explain this, please chime in if you know.
TIA
LAKE: 79 Trojan 30 express
LAND: 00 Grand Prix GTP
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

boat drives like a bobcat

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

okay it is real simple. First of all make sure the rudders are centered. You can do this by cranking the wheel all the way in one direction and then crank it all the way to the other side and count the revolutions of the wheel. Divide that by two and then crank it back the other way that number and you'll be close to center. Now look at the black knobs on the console. Those are the shifters. They are curved for a reason. If you put the starboard shifter forward then the curve faces to the port side. That is the way the bow of the boat will go as long as the other shifter is in neutral. Now if you put them all back to neutral and pull that starboard lever backwards then the curve will show you which way the stern of the boat will move which is to the port side. Now if you put them back in neutral and then push the starboard lever forward and the port lever in reverse then the curves of the shifters will show you that the boat will spin counterclockwise. Now if you reverse the positions of the levers so the port lever is forward and the starboard lever is in reverse then it will spin clockwise. Both foward will go straight forward and both in reverse will go straight backwards. Now for the trick part. Going directly sideways. This is not easy but it can be done. If you push the starboard lever forward and pull the port lever back and crank the wheel all the way to the starboard side it will tend to push the boat sideways to the port direction. Just reverse everything to go sideways to the starboard. This assumes that both engines are at idle and at similar rpms. At slow speeds it is easier to use the shifters to steer than use the wheel. When docking you should have the wheel centered and just steer with the shifters. I don't really see much need to learn to go directly sideways but it helps sometimes to push off from a dock with other boats in front and behind you like at the gas dock. Drives just like a Bobcat or a dual lever lawn mower or a tank.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

EXACTLY as described. After a while, you'll be able to spin on a dime!
Go out to some open space on the water and practice, practice, practice...you'll get the hang of it.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
00GTP

Post by 00GTP »

Thanks, guys, much appreciated!!
LAKE: 79 Trojan 30 express
LAND: 00 Grand Prix GTP
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Wow! never new this... I can usually get it to go sidewaysby working the shifters back and forth as I move but never as easy as that. That would be great at the gas dock.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
I want another Trojan, preferably a Tri Cabin
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

steer

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

It sort of goes sideways but not real well. You are basically rotating to port but steering to starboard.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
Lookout

Post by Lookout »

hmmm, wasted all that money on a bow thruster....lol
  • LOOKOUT AGAIN
  • 1986 F-36
  • Lake Michigan Fish Slayer.
http://www.lookoutcharterservice.com
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

When I first saw this thread, I thought.... that's not possible, I grew up on my dad's twin screw sportfisherman, but never recall hearing of such a thing. After seeing the replies, I couldn't resist a Google search on twin engine powerboat moving sideways... Which turned up this reference to a powerboat handling handbook and the following image.
http://www.powerboat-handling.com/pbtutorial.pdf

The instructions sound like it's kind of walking forward and aft while going sideways, which sounds more feasible to me than just going sidways.

Anyway, this book is available for a training system which proves to me that there are no end to the toys that are designed to separate boat owners from the cotents of their bank accounts. If you want to practice manuvering your boat in the safety, comfort, and privacy of your basement or backyard, you could be the proud owner of the wireless powerboat trainer pictured below.

Good Luck!
Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI