Tri Cabin air conditioning

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rickalan35
Moderate User

Tri Cabin air conditioning

Post by rickalan35 »

I own a '74 Tricabin and have now been twice through the air conditioning wars and so recently (last week) junked (gave away) my 7000 heat pump btu unit and have now instead gone out and purchased an actual portable 9000 btu "household" unit. You know those units on wheels? I installed it right across from the door to the forward head, in that little cabinet area and I simply hooked the 7" hot air exhaust hose into the 6" amidships (behind salon settee) bilge ventilation hose. Today it was 90 degrees here and the darn thing did a pretty fair job of cooling down the salon (got it down to 75 degrees so there's no danger of me freezing to death) but it did nothing to cool the rear bedroom. We all know how damn hot those v-drives make that rear bedroom. So now I'm thinikng of buying another 6000 btu portable unit and placing it right behind the steps that lead down from the back deck into the bedroom.

Comments??????

Plus - Has anyone running a Tri Cabin here ever been happy with their air conditioning and if so, what are you running and how is it positioned???

Cheers

Rick
nitro115

Post by nitro115 »

Rick, I have an '83 Tri Cabin and while I cannot say that I love my A/C units (Cruisair, not sure about their sizes...9000BTU maybe), they work ALRIGHT. Even in the hottest days here in NC the temp is about 72-73 degrees in the salon. To achieve that both units must be set to the lowest temperature. The boat is in a covered slip though, so I'm sure it helps a lot. I just cleaned both coils and it did help a lot. I've had this vessel for almost a year and I don't think the coils have ever been cleaned before. The one under the steps was in horrible shape. Both systems were a little low on freon (R22), so I had to charge them. Now everything works fairly well. If your portable unit works well for you, keep it and add another, if this works out for you.
1983 Trojan Tri Cabin
rickalan35
Moderate User

air conditioning

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Nitro,

Where was your second AC unit placed? Were they still running V drives in the tri cabins in '84? Thanks for the reply.

Rick
David Kane
Sporadic User

Post by David Kane »

I've got a '75 with Crusiair. Works OK, but I am getting a lot of moisture around the stairs area in the salon, causing soft spots in the floor. I only run the AC for short periods of time. If there is a condensation drain into the bilge, I haven't found it yet. Am in the process of tearing out my Onan genset. Once I've freed up enough space for me to lie down & look around mor under the salon floor, I may find it. Or not find one and install a drain.
nitro115

Post by nitro115 »

Rick, one air handler is located under the steps as you walk down to the salon, and the other one is actually in the front cabin, in the wall. Here are a couple of photos, so you can see the exact locations.

http://www.pbase.com/nitro115/image/97117966

http://www.pbase.com/nitro115/image/84708619

I'm not sure what a V drive is, but I've checked it out on Google and I think my drive is a straight drive: engine, then transmission and shaft. All in a straight line.

I mainly blame the large windows for the temps not getting below 72 during summer days. After all, I like the large windows, so I can put up with a bit warmer air. I used to have a 33' Cruisers Yachts and I was able to knock the temp below 70 degrees easily. However, it had a MUCH smaller cabin (and not cabinS), so it wasn't difficult. I love the spaciousness of the Tri Cabin and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. So speaking, of course :-)

feri
1983 Trojan Tri Cabin
rickalan35
Moderate User

Forward AC

Post by rickalan35 »

Thanks Nitro,

Yep, you're bang on about the cabin size although it's pretty easy to get used to the spaciousness of aTri - it gets brought home very quickly though when some other boater comes aboard and suddenly blurts out, "Whoa, look at all the room in here."

Interestingly enough, from the look of your intake and outlet, I would say that the forward cabin AC must be located in the bottom of your hanging closet (am I correct?) whereas I was assuming you meant in between and under your V bunks.

What size BTU in both AC uits??

Thanks

Rick
nitro115

Post by nitro115 »

Rick, whenever I visit some friends on the dock, I feel like in a capsule, with a very few exceptions. Luckily our boat is in a top notch shape, so I don't envy any of the other guys' boats' features. Yeah, they're shinier than ours, but not a whole lot. Also, the large fridge, 3 burner stove, a bath tub... ah, no way I would trade this boat for any other in our marina.

If I remember correctly, the coil sits in the upper area of the closet, or right above it. It might have a dedicated access panel, but I wouldn't bet my paycheck on that.

I'm not sure about what size the units are, but I think they're larger than 6k. My best guess is about 9k-12k BTU each. They do put out some cold air, the suction sides are sweating and are ice cold when they run.

feri
1983 Trojan Tri Cabin
rickalan35
Moderate User

Air Conditioning

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Guys

I suppose that what really opens my eyes is when I board my buddies new SeaRay, he's got three air conditioners (front, middle, rear) that are zoned to cool only their own areas. These units are small (5000 btu) but they work well positioned in this manner. On a hot day it's still possible to get the temp down into the 60's.

I'm sure that the latest insulation materials in his SeaRay are a big help too. The zoning idea is important as well, as I believe that cool air doesn't flow well inside our boats with their narrow doors, even when helped by a small auxillary fan. Finally, all new boats blow the cool air up thru vents located high near the ceiling and let it "drop" down whereas "return inlets" are located low on the floor

Very funny rj, your comment about the V drives being "Aft Space heaters" but too, too true. Aluminum reflective heat insulation helps but there are just too many ways for the heat to seep out into the rear bedroom. My buddy installed 12 v silent fans in each engine bay that continually pull the air out through the hull air circulation vents. He claims they work very well, he turns them on when he docks/shuts down.

I'm still focussed on adding a second 9000 btu portable unit for under the rear bedroom entrance steps (lots of room behind there) but am also faced with cutting a round hole somewhere in the transom for the subsequent hot air exit grill. Not too happy with that.

Cheers

Rick
LHFixer

Post by LHFixer »

I think I have the standard Cruiseair units that came stock. 5000 and 9000 BTUs. They work very well. on the hottest of days, like two days ago, it will still be a little muggy in the salon, but by dusk I'll be freezing. My main problem is trying to find a happy medium. It seems I either have all or nothing with these units. One downward seeking nudge of the controls and they kick off completely it seems.

Sometimes I'll shut them down in the middle of the night to and wake up from dreams of the jungle in a full sweat. Maybe I should check the vent thermometers...

Eric
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Fixer

Location of your two units??

One probably under salon stairs to the cockpit and the other under your v-bunks?

I believe Trojan could have solved this problem back in the day, with a v bunk 3000 btu unit/ a salon 12000 btu unit and a 5000 btu unit located outboard of the starboard v drive engine and blowing cold air up thru ducts to outlet vents under the starboard side rear bedroom windows.

But AC was just an expensive afterthought in the seventies. Those were the days when an AC compressor kicking in blew every electrical breaker in the marina.

Rick
LHFixer

Post by LHFixer »

My units are in the wall between the salon and the V berth on the Starboard side and under the stairs from the main hatch/door. More A/C units would have certainly fixed the issue, but you're right the Amperage would be too great for the 30A shorepower.

Hmmm, which leads me to another question...I'll start a new topic.

Eric
nitro115

Post by nitro115 »

Thanks Jeff, I'd be more than happy to check out your new vessel! We very seldom go to Smith Mountain Lake area, I've been there only once in the 21 years I've been in the United States. But, who knows what happens tomorrow...
I think you should shoot a copy of your thread to your buddy here in NC, he might invite you sooner :-) You'd be more than welcome to see our Tri Cabin and it would be great to meet you in person as well! Do you have a picture of your Carver, or a link to it?

Going down to the boat tonight and I'll check out what size are my A/C systems, it's about time to find out.

You guys all have a great weekend and happy/safe boating!
feri
1983 Trojan Tri Cabin