Frankenstorm

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

The Paula Sea faired well at Little Creek in Norfolk. I was a little worried about the strong north winds pushing water into the inlet seeing how the inlet runs north-south. The floating docks really make riding out the tidal surges easier. Of course the fear with floating docks is if the surge is too high, the whole dock floats off the pilings and every one in the marina goes for a ride. Hope all our Trojaners faired well up north.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

I hope all of you on the east coast got through this storm all right. Very scary images on the news. Thoughts and prayers coming from the west.........John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
Lawman
Moderate User

Post by Lawman »

Well, after being out of power for 12 hrs. Power came back on around 3am. Big time flooding all around me. A neighbors tree took out my back fence but thats it. Even my cheap tarp held up! I'm lucky compared to most.
1973 F30 Clean Machine
' Goomar '
(Italian for 'my mistress')

"It's only an island if you look at it from the water" -- Chief Brody
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

OK... here's one for the conspiracy theorists... Was there another Mutiny on the Bounty?

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/30/hm ... ebook-page
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

jddens wrote:I hope all of you on the east coast got through this storm all right. Very scary images on the news. Thoughts and prayers coming from the west.........John

Thanks
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

i'm worried about how yorklin did. he's probably still w/ out power, but i hope he, his family and his boat and shop made it okay.

enterprise rode it out well, a little water intrusion thru sliding window (the wind blew water between the shrink wrap tape !!) above galley counter, but other than that, all windows, aft escape hatch, forward hatch high and dry.
lines did well and no stressing around cleats. best thing i did though was remove the canvas and put the fast back winter cover on. at the house, we lost power for about 12 hrs which is not bad considering the severity of the storm. used the 6kw genset i bought after last summers storm and it is the best purchase i have made in a long time. wish i had the bucks to get a whole house genset. maccabee did well too although both he and phil and a huge case of cabin fever. i actually sent phil out on an errand just to get him out of the house!! driving me crazy.
so, we are fine, the boat is fine, and all things being equal, i'm blessed for that.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks Aaron,
I believe my Dad (who ironically died a few years ago at my shop while getting ready for a flood) put in a good word for me with the "Big" man up there! We somehow managed to escape this storm without a drop of water in the building! I never lost power at my house, my mother who lives 4 miles from me has is still without power. Its nothing short of a miracile that we escaped without flooding and damage. My prayers go out to everyone at the Jersey Shore. I have friends that have a house in ocean city nj and they dont even know if their house is still standing. They are not allowed on the island until next saturday.
Thanks Everyone
Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Hope everyone (and their boats) are OK up in the NE. The flooding was unbelievable with the surge @ high tide. Can't imagine how much worse it could have been with even stronger winds ...

Why is it taking so long for the water to drain out of the flooded neighborhoods?

Hang in there everyone - we've had periods after hurricanes of no power for 1-3 weeks, and its rough, but it does bring you closer with your neighbors and friends.

Wish we could help ...
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

I rode it out in my hurricane hole onboard. Here are some pics of my hurricane hole and a video of the town docks. Quite the difference.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1060575514 ... icaneSandy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jrcGs0BRGc
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

rossjo wrote:Hope everyone (and their boats) are OK up in the NE. The flooding was unbelievable with the surge @ high tide. Can't imagine how much worse it could have been with even stronger winds ...

Why is it taking so long for the water to drain out of the flooded neighborhoods?

Hang in there everyone - we've had periods after hurricanes of no power for 1-3 weeks, and its rough, but it does bring you closer with your neighbors and friends.

Wish we could help ...

X2
I heard The low pressure of this storm ( and the size ) made it much worse then storms with much higher winds .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

Michael, is photo #11 the entrance to your perfect harbor?

I'm shocked--shocked!!--to still see the ancient fish finder and radar viewer thingie on the dash! New windshield is gorgeous.
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Nancy wrote:Michael, is photo #11 the entrance to your perfect harbor?

I'm shocked--shocked!!--to still see the ancient fish finder and radar viewer thingie on the dash! New windshield is gorgeous.
Yes. 11, 13, & 15 are all looking out onto the main body of the lake from my hurricane hole.

Don't knock the ancient fishfinder. It works pretty good! So does the ancient radar. ;)

I have a one piece 'solution' to all of that gear at the house here, but to install it I need the boat out of the water, so thats on slate for March or April depending on the winter we have.

I'm hauling tomorrow. I had a pretty long season. You last saw that boat on April 12th, so its been since then. I got well over 100 hrs running time and about 100 nights aboard since then so I'm ready to get her out and decide what I'm doing to her next. (Getting your black bottom paint off is close to the top of the list ;) )

I get a nice spot by the crane so they will have me back in before the main body ice goes out in the spring. If its anything like last winter I'll be eating corned beef and cabbage aboard in 2013. :D

Hope all is well with the Albin. My best to John.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

yorklyn wrote:Thanks Aaron,
I believe my Dad (who ironically died a few years ago at my shop while getting ready for a flood) put in a good word for me with the "Big" man up there! We somehow managed to escape this storm without a drop of water in the building! I never lost power at my house, my mother who lives 4 miles from me has is still without power. Its nothing short of a miracile that we escaped without flooding and damage. My prayers go out to everyone at the Jersey Shore. I have friends that have a house in ocean city nj and they dont even know if their house is still standing. They are not allowed on the island until next saturday.
Thanks Everyone
Todd
great news todd!!!
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

Commissionpoint wrote:Yes. 11, 13, & 15 are all looking out onto the main body of the lake from my hurricane hole.

Don't knock the ancient fishfinder. It works pretty good! So does the ancient radar. ;)

I have a one piece 'solution' to all of that gear at the house here, but to install it I need the boat out of the water, so thats on slate for March or April depending on the winter we have.

I'm hauling tomorrow. I had a pretty long season. You last saw that boat on April 12th, so its been since then. I got well over 100 hrs running time and about 100 nights aboard since then so I'm ready to get her out and decide what I'm doing to her next. (Getting your black bottom paint off is close to the top of the list ;) )
That's a really cool entrance to the harbor.

I didn't know you got the old fishfinder working! You're a wizard. As for the radar, I thought you'd already gotten rid of the green glow. I know you weren't fond of the ancient radiation--I mean radar--dome.

I absolutely do not envy you getting that bottom paint off.

Remember to remove the keel plug.
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

Michael,

P.S. Forgot to mention that ridiculously cute Fiona. New baby?