FX-1 Retro fit for HVAC **Update

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

LHFixer

FX-1 Retro fit for HVAC **Update

Post by LHFixer »

Hello all,

I finally got my new digital controls installed and I thought I would give a quick review.

Installation was pretty straight forward. My Trojan (86 Tricabin) has two units. One in the fore sandwiched between the V berth clost and the forward wall of the main salon and another under the stairs into the boat.

I tink the hard part was figuring out that the wiring harnesses that were listed in the book were not located with the main control unit that is in the forward bilge area. They are located with the units themselves. (I hope this makes sense, I have no idea where Trojan put these Gray main control boxes on other boats.)

I removes the staircase and exposed the aft unit. Cleaned inches of gunk and filth out of it. Installed the supplied electronics and the new controls themselves. I had to cut the wood a bit as the new controls are square but include a new glamor plat to cover the hole for the old three knob plate.

The rear box was much easier, as I did not have to disassemble the stairs or move the refrigerator. just open the closet and go to work. All things went smoothly, and the directions are clear and well written.

As far as performance, the units make a world of difference. There is the issue of the temp sensor being located in the face of the control. When the area around the plate gets cold (or warm) so does the control. This was overcome by some cleverly places insulation and perhaps later remote temp sensors available from the same company that plugs into the back of the control face like a telephone (or more so a router).

Other than that, the controls are very accurate and the Away setting is great, when you are away of course, but I use it on warm-ish nights when the humidity is the only issue. It comes on once an hour and drops the temp by two degrees, effectively dehumidifying the air. This doesn't help much when the sun is beating down on the decks and it is 100 degrees outside but it helps and you don't worry as much about the boat sinking while your swilling beer or at work.

other features include an automatic de-icing cycle and automatic mode that is just set and forget. It sometimes scared me at first to have the A/C on but not hear the water running outside, now I feel like I'm being frugal.

I'm sure I left some stuff out. Ask away, Ill try to be more descriptive.

Eric

Here is a link to the company that I bought my parts from:

http://www.coastalclimatecontrol.com/fx1.html

Build a man a fire and he will stay warm all day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

Nice job Eric ..... I'm glad to hear everything worked out so well. Good luck with your new unit.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

AC Control

Post by larryeddington »

Thanks Eric,

I have a used digital and control box coming that should work, but if it turns out to be unworkable, I now have another option which looks like a good one.

I will eventually post my results, I have a 3 cyl diesel ginny going in at the same time so my work is cut out for me.

Of interest we both live in a town called Canton.

Regards,

Larry
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

larry
just to give you an option if you decide to replace your thermostat. i installed the fx1 although i purchased from another place. i got the retrofit vertical unit that would replace my 3 vertical control knobs for my cruiseair unit but purchased it from micro aire they make the fx-1. you MIGHT save some dollars from buying somewhere else beside coastal climate. dont know the current pricing but its another option to check out. the digital upgrade was one of the best things i've done. set the temp i want and forget it. mine was very easy to install
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

ac control retor fit

Post by larryeddington »

Thanks,

I have one of the old controls with the double bulb, most likely unusable other than knowbs and glamor plate. FYI my f28 has not AC but am assembling all the components. Currently have 8K marine genny, 16k marine AC heat pump, once I have the control issue in the bag will install all of teh above and have cool comfort down here in Texas, as you know it gets a bit warm here in the summer. Plus as a reverse cycle system I can use the boat in the winter without freezing my backside. The controls you used FX1 have been favorite marked if I need them.

I am trying to use the forum sponsors as much as possible in my refit of the f28.

Thanks,

Larry
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink