Southern Ontario Trojan Rendevous Just Dates and Local

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jimbo36
Moderate User

Re: Southern Ontario Trojan Rendevous Just Dates and Local

Post by jimbo36 »

gdcardoza wrote:Hey guys,

Just curious... What's the age group of guys in the Ontario area going to this?? Have a feeling I will be the youngest in the group...??
Judging from the 8 Trojan boat owners at Bay Mooring's, here in Georgian Bay, I would say 50 and over. Don't let this deter you though, look at all those years of knowledge and experience. ha ha 8)
cumminwm

Post by cumminwm »

count me in
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

We are not getting a lot of response here!
Season is short, we make the best of it.
Muskokan345

Post by Muskokan345 »

I'm in...and I'll drag two buddies along!!
1986 F26
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Muskokan, where you at.
Muskokan345

Post by Muskokan345 »

South end of Sparrow Lake, Lauderdale Point Marina
1986 F26
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Muskokan, How would you rate this marina, always looking for info on places. Rates don't appear to bad from their site, but no info on in and out charges or winter storage.

Thanks Ken
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Away On Busine$$ wrote:We are not getting a lot of response here!
To be very honest, the proposal to anchor in a specific bay (as beautiful as it is) seems,.. well,...boring. :shock:

I think the East coast guy's have a better chance at making a Rendezvous fly.

IMHO, Jimbo.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

jimbo36 wrote:
Away On Busine$$ wrote:We are not getting a lot of response here!
To be very honest, the proposal to anchor in a specific bay (as beautiful as it is) seems,.. well,...boring. :shock:
IMHO, Jimbo.
Low response....There are not that many Trojan owners from the immediate area that frequent this board.....
Jimbo says Boring :!:
... just shows me that you rarely leave your marina dock...... Let's not forget you work there and so have a bias or even worse financial motivation to stay at that marina..... :wink:

Marina vs this?
Rock formations
Wildlife
Collecting firewood

Getting out on the lake has a whole lot more boating opportunities than staying in a marina..... doing stuff on the dock is not much different than staying in the backyard. I can't understand anyone's motivation to travel several days from their home marina to tie up at yet another one :!:

You are ignoring dinghy flotilla trips from Port Rawson anchorage to other sites like Moon River falls.
and Henry's
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
blair

Post by blair »

Sorry, but the dates don't work for me. My vacation ends on the 28th and with all the travel time I can't see it happening for us. The hours of operation for the locks make it prohibitive.
If anyone is still interested in splitting this into two-site event, I'm still open to the times in July and the idea of a Kawartha based event, somewhere around the Peterborough area. Stoney Lake offers some really nice floating sites that are near to some well-serviced marinas.
And, with all due respect to ready123, as for jimbo looking to make a "profit" on a marina based event, let's all remember 1) This is how he makes a living, and 2) he did offer us a discount. We all accept that this hobby is expensive and I, for one, would rather see a very helpful forum user make out than some other operator with no connection to the forum. Thanks again, jimbo. When i do make it back to Georgian Bay I will certainly drop in to meet up with you. I still remember a very salient reply you shared with me, regarding marinas :D
Blair
1979 Trojan Tricabin with twin 255 Mercs
11' Inflatable dingy with 4 Hp merc
On the Trent canal system at Young's Point , Clear Lake, Ontario
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Ready123, Your reply has met all of my expectations. :!: My offering was based on a possible destination and/or an initial meeting point with the opportunity to provide a briefing for those not comfortable with heading into the 30,000 Is. Maybe going up your way as a group, much the same way we conduct our Rendezvous from our marinas. 8) I was offering our docking facilities, in addition to the other amenities, pool, lounge, fitness center washrooms/showers, etc; for those who would have liked to consider this option. This invitation was not motivated by my desire to make money off you. In fact, I had no intention of charging for this event at all. My only motivation, from a business point of view, was to expose our beautiful Marina for public relations and, of course, to bring us together. On the other hand, a review of your posts shows that your desire, from the beginning, is to have everyone come to you. Too bad that this is your attitude. :?: :?:
Muskokan345

Post by Muskokan345 »

Dont want to hijack the post

Ken,
I like the marina, its close to home, 20 mins travel time. Having said that, the amenities are basic, nice area around the boat if you dont want to go out, and lots of bays in the area to through out the hook and swim for the day. No rates on haul out, because there is no real services on site, but the owners are working on getting something going in that direction. Drop by sometime, I'll show you around.

As for the rendezvous...
I'm in and I know 2 others at the marina that are not on this site a lot that will come. Always up for an adventure!!
1986 F26
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

jimbo36 wrote:My only motivation, from a business point of view, was to expose our beautiful Marina for public relations and, of course, to bring us together. On the other hand, a review of your posts shows that your desire, from the beginning, is to have everyone come to you. Too bad that this is your attitude. :?: :?:
Only :?: I doubt that....

Your research is faulted..... I will agree from the outset I have favoured anchoring out to marina dwelling, that is my modus operandi both In Georgian Bay and Florida waters where I am now.

My intention from the beginning was to expose other's to what Georgian Bay offers..... if I wanted them to come to me I would have had them turn right at O'Donnell Point, or anchor in Wanee Bay/Sailboat Bay/Chicken Harbour whatever you call it :!: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.090853, ... !1e3?hl=en

I just don't consider anything South of Go Home Bay as truly representative of what Georgian Bay offers.
Long ago I moved North from Midland gladly spending another 45 mins commute from Southern Ontario for a 1 hour reduction in boat travel time to the Massassauga Park and beyond.

It's no skin off my nose if the majority don't want to travel that far on the water..... if the group decides to go to a marina gathering then I will gladly attend by car.

I will agree that many boats are located in the Midland/Honey Harbour/Penetang area and most of those also crowd the anchorages close to Beausoleil Island & Bone Island to conserve boat fuel.

Back to the problem at hand, three questions at least
1) How many are coming :?:
2) When :?: I think this has been answered, the week before August long w/e
3) Where :?:

This forum may not be the best way to track those answers.... any ideas on how to improve that by maybe linking to an external web document/database?
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

Ok Fellows. Shell we keep this a rendezvous discussion with suggestions and not opinionated or else it's going to end up in the ditch. Both suggestions are great and have pluses and minuses. Let's move on.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Heh TC how's everything---- looks like any trips out on the bay will be on some sort of snow machine---- ice is over 2 ft thick yet and it is snowing again right now---- all of the suggestions so far sound good to me,I still think we have to wait a while to see---- Mike