Southern Ontario Trojan Rendevous Just Dates and Local

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jimbo36
Moderate User

Re: Southern Ontario Trojan Rendevous Just Dates and Local

Post by jimbo36 »

TC wrote:Ok Fellows. Shell we keep this a rendezvous discussion with suggestions and not opinionated or else it's going to end up in the ditch. Both suggestions are great and have pluses and minuses. Let's move on.
Bang on TC, I couldn't agree more. 8)
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

I'm in with that, Have had a 76 F32 for 3 Years, bought it because engines re-built with 9 hours on them. Lots of other issues to deal with, but that is ok. Would like to meet with other owners, Find out issues, changes, watch outs, what ever, any info is good info. Let's make this happen.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Interest seems low :|
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

My bet is that most of us "locals" have the "I want my boat in the water" itch, and have turned their attention to prepping.
I think once our bottoms are wet the posts will swing back in the direction.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

You could be right TC, particularly with this years late splash.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

A suggestion; perhaps in a month's time when we're hopefully past the point of wondering when we'll be splashed, someone take the initiative to compile some popular suggestions and set up a poll. Let the canvasing begin :wink:

Personally I am not a hang around the marina guy. Having said that, both formats have their merit and downsides with things you can and cannot do. I suppose for some, a good rendezvous would cover both and consist of one day out and one at the dock. One should also consider a back up plan in case the weather doesn't cooperate. For fair weather boaters and simply a safe port for all in attendance, dockage needs to be considered as a back up at the very least IMO. Having said that, don't know that any marina will hold transient slips on the chance that several boats may or may not show up.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

Yes, whenever you plan a huge outdoor event like Nascar Talledaga, Woodstock, Airshows or a Trojan Rendezvous and weather is a factor you should have a back up plan. Last minute will be the decision point. How much lead time Jimbo needs, he may want to comment. Out on the hook if weather takes a turn, as I mentioned before, Henry's is not far away BUT they can only accommodate so many, and don't take reservations. Now according to Paul at Henry's, business has been down the last couple years and lately anytime we pass by, their docks have been very empty at what use to be peak times. Plus, we wouldn't know till very near the date in question exactly how many boats will show. So, thinking caps on Boys.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
Twintwister

Post by Twintwister »

gdcardoza wrote:Hey guys,

Just curious... What's the age group of guys in the Ontario area going to this?? Have a feeling I will be the youngest in the group...??

I'm 30 and am seriously looking at going.
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

It is very difficult to figure when is the best time for dockage at Henry's. As a member of the America's Great Loop Cruiser's Association it is our understanding that about 100 vessels will arrive in Georgian Bay around the end of July. We will be attending their Spring Rendezvous May 6th in Norfolk,Virginia and will have a better idea of numbers and arrival dates after that event. This would be the only time that we may be tight for slips at Bay Moorings. As TC has said, we will have to plan as we go. If we pick a time and location (Georgian Bay, Kawarthas, etc) we could take a count of those who will commit to the event and go from there.