New guy looking to buy a F-26

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Re: New guy looking to buy a F-26

Post by The Dog House »

To get a better idea of the maneuvering limitations of a Trojan F26, I would recommend downloading the BoatMaster simulator ( www.boatmaster.org/v2index.php ). The program can be downloaded for free and used 5 times before you need to purchase it. Design a single screw inboard boat with characteristics similar to a Trojan F26 (length, weight, draft, prop walk, horsepower, etc.) and try the boat in various wind and current conditions. Make sure the boat does not turn to starboard in reverse (prop walk setting). You can try docking the boat with and without using spring lines to get a better understanding of the difficulty. This should help you decide if you can live with the boat's limitations.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
MrWesson

Post by MrWesson »

I've decided to take a step back for a few weeks and hopefully I don't regret it.

I still think the F26 would work well but think I would be happier with less live aboard accommodations and more deck space.

I may come back at this with a much higher budget, same budget or walk away from the idea and get a bigger outboard boat.
MrWesson

Post by MrWesson »

IM BACK! :D

After some cooldown time I just can't get that boat out of my head.

I have been back to the boat twice since my last post and looked over every square inch.

Still concerned about handling it solo.
Not sure about the portapotty setup.. Image
Found some rot in the back 1' of so of the stringers where the wood is unprotected for bilge drainage. After tapping with a hammer I'm satisfied its only the back 1' and easy to get to. The forward hatch area has some marginal flex to it and will need replacing at some point. I've looked into this repair and its not a big deal(skill saw set to right depth/replace core/epoxy resin/sandwich).
What I assume to be the original(its galvanized) gas tank. It looks clean and after inspecting the tank with a flashlight no rust, sludge or dirt.

Going to setup a sea trial this week and I'f all goes well I'm thinking of offering 6500 based on 2 boats within 400 miles(one 5000 and another 6500). 1 in comparable shape($5000 one) but logistics of buying and transporting is out for right now(300 miles away/too busy).

If purchased I would sell my 18' center console and suffer a bit of sacrifice in the draft dept. I normally fish from 4-10' anyway and plan to do some more shallow reef fishing(15-25'). Any concerns with seagrass and raw cooling?

If purchased mods/fixes will include...
AC solution. I have plenty of ideas here. used marine ac, Portable stand up or converting a window unit to air cooled :mrgreen: (yes its been done and sounds like a fun project)
Swim platform. Will try to adapt if not needed but doubt it.
2-4 Carbon monixide detectors for the cabin/aft deck.
Generator. Probably a honda 2000 portable inverter.(save the safety lecture :wink: ) I've done ton's of research.
An aft folding bench would be nice too.

All in due time though.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

If you want to drive it single handed, consider adding a bow thruster. The Sideshift SS230 is what I would recommend ( https://sideshift.com/bow-thrusters/ss230-bowthruster/ ). You can install the battery and charger under the V berth. Make sure to use an AGM battery since under the V berth is not a ventilated area. With a bow thruster you should be able to handle the boat single handed. The total cost should be less than $4000.

I think $6500 is a fair price for the boat you are looking at. If the seller isn't willing to accept $6500 you may want to look around for another vintage 26 foot Trojan/Silverton/Chris Craft. There should be plenty out there to choose from.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

MrWesson wrote:The forward hatch area has some marginal flex to it and will need replacing at some point. I've looked into this repair and its not a big deal(skill saw set to right depth/replace core/epoxy resin/sandwich).
I just completed a major deck repair on my 75 F-26. If you really want to see how the deck is, I would recommend getting a hold of a moisture meter. Mine started off as just the forward deck, but turned into a much larger job. Here's a link to the thread.

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... eck+repair

I single hand mine a lot, It's not that bad once you get used to it. If you do get it, I would find a calm open area, drop a fender in the water and practice maneuvering around it. I always have a spring line attached to my forward spring cleat which I run back and keep in the cockpit. I can then either hand it to someone on the dock, or if there is no one there, step off and hold the bow while I tie up.

I wish you all the best, look forward to hearing how your sea trial goes.
Matt
MrWesson

Post by MrWesson »

The Dog House wrote:If you want to drive it single handed, consider adding a bow thruster. The Sideshift SS230 is what I would recommend ( https://sideshift.com/bow-thrusters/ss230-bowthruster/ ). You can install the battery and charger under the V berth. Make sure to use an AGM battery since under the V berth is not a ventilated area. With a bow thruster you should be able to handle the boat single handed. The total cost should be less than $4000.

I think $6500 is a fair price for the boat you are looking at. If the seller isn't willing to accept $6500 you may want to look around for another vintage 26 foot Trojan/Silverton/Chris Craft. There should be plenty out there to choose from.
Its been for sale for awhile and the seller has already confided in buying a much bigger more expensive boat. He is also paying for insurance and slip fees(for nothing).

We'll see but I'm prepared to walk.

A bow thruster isn't in the cards due to cost at this point. If I fall in love with the boat then the wallet comes out accordingly.
MattSC wrote:
MrWesson wrote:The forward hatch area has some marginal flex to it and will need replacing at some point. I've looked into this repair and its not a big deal(skill saw set to right depth/replace core/epoxy resin/sandwich).
I just completed a major deck repair on my 75 F-26. If you really want to see how the deck is, I would recommend getting a hold of a moisture meter. Mine started off as just the forward deck, but turned into a much larger job. Here's a link to the thread.

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... eck+repair

I single hand mine a lot, It's not that bad once you get used to it. If you do get it, I would find a calm open area, drop a fender in the water and practice maneuvering around it. I always have a spring line attached to my forward spring cleat which I run back and keep in the cockpit. I can then either hand it to someone on the dock, or if there is no one there, step off and hold the bow while I tie up.

I wish you all the best, look forward to hearing how your sea trial goes.
Matt
I saw that thread but don't think my damage would be that severe(yet). Like rust it spreads like cancer(as you know). Short term first couple week fix will be 1/8" holes drilled around rot and throughout and injected with epoxy resin and touch up gelcoat. That is a band aid that should buy me some time and hopefully stop the spread. Even your repair didn't seem that bad compared to the smaller boats where you have nowhere to stand, and less space to work and no access to the underside. Looks pretty simple but itchy :mrgreen: .

I'll look into the spring line setup.

I planned on spending as much time practicing as possible but problem being I can get to the boat alone alot more than with someone. I figured a couple of milk jugs/fenders weighted to the bottom to make a parking lot should work. Only issue I see is potential for the line to foul the propeller. I thought of this as I typed and will invest some more thought into something.
MrWesson

Post by MrWesson »

Boat sold this morning 1 hour before I called. :(

The search continues I guess.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

I think you are the lucky one. Your plan to inject to prevent rot increase would likely fail. Once the core is wet it needs to be dried and/or be removed to prevent expansion of rot. Rot spreads to adjacent dry balsa on it's own as it is 'living' microbe.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
MrWesson

Post by MrWesson »

ready123 wrote:I think you are the lucky one. Your plan to inject to prevent rot increase would likely fail. Once the core is wet it needs to be dried and/or be removed to prevent expansion of rot. Rot spreads to adjacent dry balsa on it's own as it is 'living' microbe.
I agree unless cut out generally it will spread.

I will disagree that the injections don't "work" if by work you mean never deal with again then you are right but I have used this method on 2 of my personal boats and seen it done quite a bit online with success being the outcome in most cases(all I've read).

It will slow it down(alot) and very rarely but sometimes a permanent fix. Its also harmless to try since you would aleady have to cut out the affected area later on you are no worse off. I had a deck in a center console that was much worse off than this F26 that I used the epoxy resin with a light mixture of fiberglass filler. It was as hard as any boat deck and stayed that way for years.

Buying a boat with rot issues already present is another can of worms. I was prepared to do it at this price point but am usually much more diligent.

For now I'm passively looking for something that fits well to come along. In the meantime I'm looking at ways to make my center console more enjoyable.
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

We have a nice f-26 at my marina for a good price. Not knowing where you are, but here it is http://www.jsmarinejim.com Pics at http://www.photobucket.com/f26
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
ochie629

Post by ochie629 »

1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

If you still want an F-26 checkout http://www.jsmarinejim.com & www.photobucket.com/f26
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express