reversing prop direction with trans/gears

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mikeandanne
Moderate User

reversing prop direction with trans/gears

Post by mikeandanne »

Because of recent posts from some in need of reverse direction engines etc, it begs a question to those who know about trans/gears.How much truth is there that most of the marine engines are now just standard rotation??

Can you reverse the direction with the trans and would it be easier to have two standard rotation engines.....parts, understanding etc..the forum is open...Mike
horhay1946

Re: reversing prop direction with trans/gears

Post by horhay1946 »

My tri cabin has two reversing velvet drives they are models -008. If you are looking for complete bobtails you can contact Bob at Beacon marine. He has access to complete engines. BTW I am in PC beach so when you get down here send me a PM
1985 Mako 258 (One Owner)
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

I am not an expert, however my Velvet Drive transmissions have the ability to change direction by rotating the pump housing cover plate 180degrees. I am pretty sure the engines on my 81 10 meter international rotate same direction.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Ya just standard rotation engines now. Rotation changed at transmissions, sterndrives, etc. Getting increasingly difficult to get parts for counter rotators even from some big OEMs still around like Mercury. Not impossible, just not as easy and quick.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
horhay1946

Post by horhay1946 »

The pump change is for the direction of rotation of the engine. Changing the front pump will not make the transmission rotate in the opposite direction. Basically you can put the same transmission on different rotation engines and when you put it in forward the prop will rotate in the direction of the engine.

If you want to change direction of the prop they you will need a transmission the changes direction in the reduction gear.
1985 Mako 258 (One Owner)
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Flyboy wrote:I am not an expert, however my Velvet Drive transmissions have the ability to change direction by rotating the pump housing cover plate 180degrees. I am pretty sure the engines on my 81 10 meter international rotate same direction.

The pump is rotated to match engine direction , Trans direction is still determined by the engines on your gears . Unless you have been repowered your engines do not rotate the same
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Big D wrote:Ya just standard rotation engines now. Rotation changed at transmissions, sterndrives, etc. Getting increasingly difficult to get parts for counter rotators even from some big OEMs still around like Mercury. Not impossible, just not as easy and quick.
So Big D ,another question......both engines are standard rotation ......are the trans the same just one with the ability to reverse or are there two different trans attached to the engines...do any of the older Velvet drives have this ability......Mike
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Most of the newer transmissions can handle the same amount of power in forward and reverse. This allows the direction of rotation to be changed at the transmission by changing the direction of throw at the transmission. With two standard engines, one engine will move the transmission into "forward" when the lever is moved forward and the other lever will move the transmission into "reverse" when the lever is moved forward. This allows counter-rotating props with two standard rotation engines. Just make sure the transmissions are designed this way. The older transmissions could not handle full power in reverse.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

The Dog House wrote:Most of the newer transmissions can handle the same amount of power in forward and reverse. This allows the direction of rotation to be changed at the transmission by changing the direction of throw at the transmission. With two standard engines, one engine will move the transmission into "forward" when the lever is moved forward and the other lever will move the transmission into "reverse" when the lever is moved forward. This allows counter-rotating props with two standard rotation engines. Just make sure the transmissions are designed this way. The older transmissions could not handle full power in reverse.
Thanks, that makes sense from a use and manufacturing angle.....so if you changed to two standard engines then at least one trans would need to be the newer style.....
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

The Dog House wrote:Most of the newer transmissions can handle the same amount of power in forward and reverse. This allows the direction of rotation to be changed at the transmission by changing the direction of throw at the transmission. With two standard engines, one engine will move the transmission into "forward" when the lever is moved forward and the other lever will move the transmission into "reverse" when the lever is moved forward. This allows counter-rotating props with two standard rotation engines. Just make sure the transmissions are designed this way. The older transmissions could not handle full power in reverse.
+1
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Misty
Sporadic User

Post by Misty »

I don't want to hijack, but to complete the discussion, could a vee drive be used to reverse a standard engine and gear?
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Misty wrote:I don't want to hijack, but to complete the discussion, could a vee drive be used to reverse a standard engine and gear?
A V drive does not change the rotation. A RH engine using a V drive will need a RH prop.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

There are V-Drive transmissions (V-Dive is part of trans ) that will reverse direction .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

V-drives are separate from the velvet drives. You need reduction gears on the velvet drives to change directions
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express