10 Meter Combing Boards

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

10 Meter Combing Boards

Post by zedtwentyate »

Team Trojan -

As a few of you know, I am in the final stages of purchasing (pending survey in the spring) a 10 meter. I searched around about the combing boards, but i havent seen anything like this on any one else's boat.

The previous owner has taped the seam of the combing boards. I tried to look underneath the tape and saw a little rot on the wood that the cushion is mounted to.

Is it possible to just remove the combing boards all together?

If not, I am assuming I will need to have them repair, but I figured i would ask. Here are some pics...look at the large blue tape job.

Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
davescarrs
Sporadic User

Re: 10 Meter Combing Boards

Post by davescarrs »

Re doing those boards with new upholstery is a pretty easy do it yourself project. I re did in all white upholstery with the same pattern of three cushions running across. The kids always seemed to get their feet and hands in between the three causing them to pull away. I recently redid with one full cushion using an upholstery with pre stitched from the factory vertical lines. I'll post pics.
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

davescarrs wrote:Re doing those boards with new upholstery is a pretty easy do it yourself project. I re did in all white upholstery with the same pattern of three cushions running across. The kids always seemed to get their feet and hands in between the three causing them to pull away. I recently redid with one full cushion using an upholstery with pre stitched from the factory vertical lines. I'll post pics.

Thanks Dave...I would love to see some of those pictures. Any tips on the removal/reinstallation process? I didn't look at it for too long, but based on the tape, its going to be one of the first jobs I tackle once the boat is mine...
Kegan

davescarrs
Sporadic User

Post by davescarrs »

The tape is right where people would step in to the boat and is probably covering a tear. The vinyl is simply stapled to the back of the the wood board. Mine combing cushions sat waterlogged for two years with little damage to the back boards. I bet they are not all that rotten. Even if they are, not that big of a deal to cut out new ones. Attaching the upholstery in the rear corner bends is the part that may be more difficult. A vinyl shop can steam them to make the bend or stitch them to make the bend. I PM'd you my email. Easier to send photos.
davescarrs
Sporadic User

Post by davescarrs »

Couple quick photos of the pleated vinyl I went with instead of the original three separate cushion style. The original three cushion style can be seen a little further up the boat. I originally redid the vinyl in plain white keeping the three cushion original style. Like I previously said, the kids would get there toes in there and everything else while climbing in and out. I finally went to one piece, using pleated. I only used 1/4 foam, whereas the original was very thick. I also implemented some grommet holes across the bottom under the combing to act as drains and it worked magnificently.
IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG (113.05 KiB) Viewed 6293 times
IMG_0274.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG (108.03 KiB) Viewed 6293 times
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

It's not the best picture of my Combing Boards, however they are finished wood the same as the boards on top. This was an option and the boat came this way. Do not have to worry about vinyl getting messed up.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

davescarrs wrote:Couple quick photos of the pleated vinyl I went with instead of the original three separate cushion style. The original three cushion style can be seen a little further up the boat. I originally redid the vinyl in plain white keeping the three cushion original style. Like I previously said, the kids would get there toes in there and everything else while climbing in and out. I finally went to one piece, using pleated. I only used 1/4 foam, whereas the original was very thick. I also implemented some grommet holes across the bottom under the combing to act as drains and it worked magnificently.
Picture redacted
Picture redacted

Thanks Dave - that style looks great. I appreciate all the tips!
Kegan

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Flyboy wrote:It's not the best picture of my Combing Boards, however they are finished wood the same as the boards on top. This was an option and the boat came this way. Do not have to worry about vinyl getting messed up.
Any other pictures Flyboy? I love the idea of teak in that area. Also, that back seat looks great. Was that custom? I don't think I've seen that on any other boat..
Kegan

Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

These are the best pictures I can come up with right now. The seats came from Veada (veada.com). They have other styles, however I used the 55" CL05 seats and the 7" W106 armrests. That combination fits perfect between the combing boards. FYI, their measurements are a little off on the Armrests, the 7" is actually 8" and the 8" is actually 9". We are very satisfied with the quality of their products, it is an Amish company.
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Thank you for sharing and for the seat information. I like the look of the that teak and have never seen it in place of combing boards. Nice boat!
Kegan

Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

Thank You,.
Good luck with your purchase, they are great boats, you will really enjoy it.