New Trojan Owner needs advice

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jezebel II

New Trojan Owner needs advice

Post by Jezebel II »

I recently bought a Mint Condition 1974 F-25 Sea Raider. I am having an issue when I start it though.... When I cold start it, it seems to crank right up... after running for a few hours and I stop to get gas, she wants to act like the battery is low or dying. The previous owner mentioned that the gear has to be just right sometimes to start. Now I know that this is what he was talking about but don't beleive it is what he thought it was. I'm leaning toward a starter. By the way, the batteries are fully charged and new. She finally turns and turns and turns and then starts. Anyone able to help me with some ideas? PS, I'm no mechanic either.

Also, I have a Mercruiser 351 (225HP) and I can't find one of those anywhere. Not that I need one but just curious.. what could I upgrade to? I think she needs more power.

John
Minor repair advice needed
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

John,

I don't think you understood what the previous owner was referring to with respect to the gear. The gear (transmission) has a switch on it that senses when the forward/reverse lever is centered at the helm (in the nuetral position). Between old controls, old cables and finicky switches, finding that "nuetral postion" can be difficult on many boats and when that happens, you turn the key and nothing happens... and I mean nothing. No cranking at all. Usualy playing with the handle a little forward or back, solves the problem and she'll crank over. This is pretty common.

What your describing isn't related to what the old owner was likely talking about since your engine is cranking... it's just cranking slowly. And if you could clarify... is it cranking slowly or is it just cranking longer than usual? If it's cranking just as fast but taking longer to fire when warm, then that could be a choke/carb related issue.

If it truely is cranking slower, it could be your starter but it could also be other things. I would check all the battery and starter cables for corrosion and tightness. If that doesn't help, then I'd take a voltage reading right on the starter cold versus hot (while cranking). If the voltage is the same and it still cranks slower when hot, then I'd have the starter rebuilt.
Last edited by jav on Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
David Kane
Sporadic User

Post by David Kane »

I'm wondering if you are evaporating your fuel in the carburator float bowl when you stop to gas because of the engine heat. Remember the technology in those days with car engines-you had to press the gas pedal to to floor and release to squirt a little gas into the float bowl on the carb. My mechanic told me to work the throttle back and forth 2-3 times to prime my engines with gas prior to starting them if they don't fire right up.
Jezebel II

Thanks

Post by Jezebel II »

I'll try your advice.
Minor repair advice needed
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

I agree about fuel evaporation, but there may be a couple of other things to consider. If you have water separator filter on your gas line it may be filtering TOO well - causing vapor lock....but that's a long shot. I'd go with priming the pump. Most likely the gas has evaporated in the carb throat and pumping the throttle a couple of times would prime it again. When starting from cold I always "set" the choke by pushing the throttle all the way forward, then backing it all the way back, with just a "smidge" off the back stop. Fires up every time.

Finally get it tuned if it hasn't been done so. New points, wires and plugs could also go a long way to solving what most likely is a problem with age of the engine, mint or otherwise.

Hope that proves to be of some help.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"