Electric Fule pump

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rick1954
Moderate User

Electric Fule pump

Post by rick1954 »

I finely got my Holley electric fuel pump to install in the boat. (Yes it is for a marine application) this little bugger will pump 70gph at 14psi. Lets see her starve for fuel now, I will see what she will do WOT “briefly” need to save money fro beer :lol: . It should be a snap to install, the reg has two ports for two carbs
Nice.
Rick 1976 Trojan E-26 Express 351 FI
Info@emaltd.com
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Rick, are you using this pump for carburetor application? Most carbs run at 7-9 psi. If so, you will certainly have issues...may need to regulate it down.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

I am with you on that one, this is the high pressure pump (712-802-1) it comes with a regulator (12-803) pressure range 4-1/2 to 9psi , that is why I got the one for a marine application, I did not want any more problems. When that boat stops in the water, it is like a lead tub.
Info@emaltd.com
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

The only other advise I can offer is to wire it into a oil pressure switch or ignition primary side for example... God forbid you blow a line or develop a fuel leak, you want that pump to shut down immediately if engine dies.

Don't want continuous fuel spraying over a hot engine!!
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

I can appreciate the concerns over the el-pump, this I also have and thank you very much. It took me a long time reviewing my options and I feel that this is the best one. The pump is manufactured by Holley for a marine applications and is approved by the powers to be. I was reviewing the oil switch Idea and feel that the down side out ways the good. If you don’t power the pump up on ignition, and if the carb perks out, you will have a hard time starting the engin. This pump has a pressure bypass allowing you to power it up continues , if that is what you want to do.
Also I am installing this pump hard, no rubber hose , just like what is on the boat now, this should take care of any blown hose problem.
I also have installed a sniffer, this will turn on the blower and alarm at one tenth of one % of the flammable gas needed to flash over. I don’t think you can be positively safe in either a mechanical pump or an el-pump application.
I need a 5 amp circuit to drive the pump, so I am going to come off the coil (low voltage side) lol, and drive a relay to feed the pump this NO wait I got it!! I will come off the starter sol, and drive a relay, hook the pump to the c terminal of the relay. On the nc terminal hook the pressure switch to +12vdc On the no terminal of the relay hook to +12vdc. Now when you crank the engin the pump will be live, once engin has started the relay will de-energize and the pump will run thru the pressure switch There Stripermann2, I am using your advice and solving my problem at the same time. :wink:
Info@emaltd.com
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Rick...see what a cold beer and a few minutes of thinking will get you! :D
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

Absolutely, beer and boat go together like soup and sandwich :lol: now to get her done 8)
Info@emaltd.com