24' trojan ---- that's all I know

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dldeal2000

24' trojan ---- that's all I know

Post by dldeal2000 »

HELP!!! :?

My husband and I were GIVEN this boat. It is in need of TLC.....I have refinished all of the origonal Teak as tht was the easy part. We do not know where to start, where to get parts/supplies. The vinyl covering needs to be competely replaced...where do I find it?

We have no history of this boat. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

West Marine and Boaters World have just about everything needed but most things may be replaced with after market parts. The nice thing about old boats is that as you replace and repair you can personalize with anything you want. Like fancy lights(RV store), carpet(carpet store, Home Depot, Lowes), wood(lumber yard), running gear parts must have marine parts(Coast Guard aproved), fabric stores, Napa auto parts carries a lot of marine parts and misc. goodies to add, It's a lot of fun. AND, this forum is just about the greatest place for information about boats and especially Trojan specific info. Some things really need to be marine specific and some not but the people here are very informative and willing to help.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
dldeal2000

Thank you

Post by dldeal2000 »

Thanks for the starter info. I am specifically looking to start with a vinyl covering for the top deck. Is there a specific grade, ect I should be looking for? Where can I find this by the roll? This is place over the wood which hold the windows in where the driver sits. I have no what this area is called yet...I am sure someone here will tell me.... :lol:

I am also trying to find out what the rules are for remodling...can I make it any specs I want to?
thecode9000

Post by thecode9000 »

eBay is going to be your best friend... becareful of West Marine(Worst Marine) they overprice all their itiems.

btw they have marine fabrics/carpets of all types and colors on eBay with excellent prices.
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Boating canvas shops can help with marine grade materials and marine glues. Think moisture, lots of moisture, everywhere, especially in the bilge(under the floor) and engine room. Seal evrything you can. Marine grade items are different and cost a little more but done a little at a time it's not too painful. As far as the helm area is concerned, that is usually one of the driest areas of the boat. Nobody wants to be wet when they're driving. I live close to where the Tollycraft factory was, so through the years I've restored several old 50's and 60's wooden Tollycrafts and most of the original parts were not marine specific. RULES, there are no rules. Bayliner has Women on there interior design team for a reason with great success. My wife doesn't care about marine specifics and she has helped make our 32ft Trojan warm and comfortable. JUST GO FOR IT. and cruise the way you want to.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
swabbyonhnd

...HELP...!!!

Post by swabbyonhnd »

Congratgulations, new Trojan owner... A few years ago, I acquired a 1965, 25' Sea Breeze Express, and it took me a year to find that out...haha The ID plate in the head was still intact which gave me HN (hull number) and Model, (you might find yours on the transom) ...the other numbers to ID the motor, etc... were taken off the motor block... Finally I had the "correct" info to begin working on it. Now, I don't know what year your boat is, or what kind of neglect it's seen before landing in your lap... But, I'll just suggest, that it helps to start with the basic information of the boat. The first thing I was concerned with, was the age of the boat. This gave me an idea of what to focus on, if not
"everything" anyhow... Mine for example, was 41 years old when I got it, and the first thing I did was take up the cabin sole, and inspect everything beneath it... the lateral ribs especially, and keelsen. Being an all wood boat, the bottom only 1/2" ply, things needed to be inspected from chine to chine. The advice I was once given "if your not, or won't put the effort, diligence, and time in that it takes to restore to a level of acceptible safety, then buy a proven used or even new one, it will cost around the same, but won't cost you in conscience. You'll have peace of mind, specially when your sleeping on it."
Wowzer52 has a great outlook on it, as well... when you are putting her back together, the skies the limit... well... almost...
Many happy returns...

"65" 25' Sea Breeze Express
Red Skies at Night. "65" Trojan