6.5kw Gen always stumbles when running

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jwrape
Moderate User

6.5kw Gen always stumbles when running

Post by jwrape »

F-44 motor yacht: My Dad has owned this boat for the past 7 years. The Gas Generator has always had a stumbling problem and when it's under a heavy load it smokes as well but if I just have one A/C unit on and the Fridge it runs fine and doesn't smoke.

My dad has rebuilt the heads and the carburator in hopes to fix this. It has all helped but not solved the issue. I was wondering if you guys might have some insight on what it could be?

I don't know who makes the Generator but I know it's a7.5kw and I think it's a Onan or something. Sorry for the lack of info.
Last edited by jwrape on Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
I want another Trojan, preferably a Tri Cabin
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Stumbling under load is usually a sign of too lean a fuel mixture. Smoking under load is a sign of worn rings / cylinder walls.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Danny Bailey wrote:Stumbling under load is usually a sign of too lean a fuel mixture. Smoking under load is a sign of worn rings / cylinder walls.
I figured the rings were worn. The lean situation, how would I fix that? adjust the carb?
79' Carver 28' Mariner
Safari

Post by Safari »

Be careful before you get radical. Mine was doing the same thing and worse: when a load was removed after running a while, the genny would run away; the voltage would shoot up to 166vac. Problem of smoking and stumbling was caused by a blown fuse (something with the choke). Runaway when no load was caused by the idle screw run all the way in. Another blown fuse issue caused a situation where the genny would start, run great, but would not shut down. None of these fixes were obvious.
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Safari wrote:Be careful before you get radical. Mine was doing the same thing and worse: when a load was removed after running a while, the genny would run away; the voltage would shoot up to 166vac. Problem of smoking and stumbling was caused by a blown fuse (something with the choke). Runaway when no load was caused by the idle screw run all the way in. Another blown fuse issue caused a situation where the genny would start, run great, but would not shut down. None of these fixes were obvious.
Yea, I talked to my Dad and he mentioned it could be the points.
OH and it's not a 7.5Kw, it's a 6.5kw Onan. Where can i get Electronic Ignition for it.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Well I just picked up a Electronic Ignition Ebay found here for $50. Hope it will correct all the issues, the Chysler 440's already have electronic ignition, the poor Gen-set needs it bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :IT&ih=018
79' Carver 28' Mariner
Safari

Post by Safari »

Great info - Thanks. I'm getting these points for mine
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Safari wrote:Great info - Thanks. I'm getting these points for mine
Cool, i figured you guys could use this. The seller is VERY helpful with questions
79' Carver 28' Mariner
g36
Moderate User

gen

Post by g36 »

could you please post your results of the gen performance after you have installed this. also your thought on the installation instructions. thanks
jwrape
Moderate User

Re: gen

Post by jwrape »

g36 wrote:could you please post your results of the gen performance after you have installed this. also your thought on the installation instructions. thanks
Will do. Gonna get it in the mail on Monday. Should be Tuesday or Thursday when i install it.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Ok, I got the unit. It's not actually the electronic ignition. The points stay in place but this works in conjuction with the point to not wear out the points. I'm a little weary of how it works, but I still need to get new points first before I install this.
79' Carver 28' Mariner
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Ok, I am sending that piece of crap back that I got off Ebay.
I finally found a article on how to upgrade to electronic igition with ONAN parts. Only catch is that it's $192 and you have to be a little handy to install it but should be pretty easy.
Here is the article for ya
http://www.gmcws.org/Tech/onan_electron ... ition.html

"The electronic ignition kit (EIK), shown above, is Onan P/N 160-1376 and should be available at most Cummins Dealers and/or facilities that sell and work on Onan generators"
79' Carver 28' Mariner
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

That's neat to know. Do you have any links on the Onan 6.5KW genny? I'm working on a MCCK series now for a freind and since Cummins bought out Onan, all they make now is diesel gennys and the web has not much info unless you purchase it...wanted a carburetor blow-up of the assembly.

Thanks.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
jwrape
Moderate User

Post by jwrape »

Stripermann2 wrote:That's neat to know. Do you have any links on the Onan 6.5KW genny? I'm working on a MCCK series now for a freind and since Cummins bought out Onan, all they make now is diesel gennys and the web has not much info unless you purchase it...wanted a carburetor blow-up of the assembly.

Thanks.
No I didn't find anything but I do have a manual to mine, don't know if it has a carburator Blow up but I can look when I go back out to the boat in a next weekend. :wink:
79' Carver 28' Mariner
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Thanks the same. I have the complete manual with specs and pics for both spec A and spec B carbs. Just not very good pics...figured I could find and blow-up on the computor screen...no worries!
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!