Trailers

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

AuxiliaryComms

Trailers

Post by AuxiliaryComms »

How do I go about finding a trailer for our Sea Raider? Are there certain characteristics I need to look for or certain places to find them for sale.

Normally I can find this sort of stuff online easily but this is proving to be a bit more challenging.
Jason

1969 Sea Raider FG Express (Flickr Set)

Join the USCG Auxiliary, America's Volunteer Lifesavers
daydrmr999

Post by daydrmr999 »

I have basically the same boat, except mine is the 69 hardtop express. Found my trailer on craigslist. One thing to keep in mind is that many trailers won't work due rear cross bars that leave no room for the prop/shaft to not come in contact with the trailer.

Mike
AuxiliaryComms

Post by AuxiliaryComms »

daydrmr999 wrote:I have basically the same boat, except mine is the 69 hardtop express. Found my trailer on craigslist. One thing to keep in mind is that many trailers won't work due rear cross bars that leave no room for the prop/shaft to not come in contact with the trailer.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I'd assume that means the keel is a problem too?
Jason

rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

The trailer in the photo looks like a solid aluminum unit - whats wrong with it?

The point on the shafts is important, as well as having enough clearance for the prop and rudder when traveling down the road ...

Double axles should be just fine - and make sure the brakes work (required by law most states).

Make sure the springs are rated for the load (and the tires are not dry-rotted). I would not buy steel springs again - torsion axles if possible (usually not as available on used trailers).

Its a buyer's world .... look around ....
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
AuxiliaryComms

Post by AuxiliaryComms »

rossjo wrote:The trailer in the photo looks like a solid aluminum unit - whats wrong with it?
It is now a smoker trailer belonging to the previous owner :? kind of a pain in the arse but I guess since he didn't know or want what he had I got a free boat.
Jason

daydrmr999

Post by daydrmr999 »

yes, the keel was an issue as well, I got pretty damn lucky, found an aluminum shoreland'r a couple hours from me, here's a link...

http://www.shorelandr.com/pages/t_specs ... ductID=478

It's got more than enough capacity for this boat, I believe the advertised weight of this boat is somewhere around 5000-5500 lbs, so figuring for fuel, water and all the stuff that ends up in the boat, it's got a good safety margin as far as capacity goes. The crossbars are adjustable, and it happened that they were already set up so that the rear crossbar is far enough forward to not be an issue with the keel. I will be adding more bunks on to the outside of the existing main bunks though, the single rear set just doesn't seem to give kind of support I would like.

Mike