Painting wallpaper?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tgcasey

Painting wallpaper?

Post by tgcasey »

I have a 1987 12M International and the 1980's lite blue and pink wall coverings have to go....

I went to the boat show last month and I talked to a few yacht interior companies and one suggested priming the walls with Kilz and painting with oil base paint. I had piece of the material from a previous project and tried it and it seemed to work well.

Anyone ever try this?

Thanks in advance

Tom
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

I tried pulling some of it off to replace it with a more modern version and that was a mistake. The stuff is put on with flooring adhesive and most places it pulled the top layer of the plywood off. If there's any way you can paint or paper over it, do so.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

NO oil base !

Oil base will mold!

Use a single or 2-part Polyurethane. Since your labor is free, then at least get good paint! Awlgrip (or equivalent).
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Coralkong
Sporadic User

Post by Coralkong »

I have painted lots (but not all yet!) of the old, yellowing but still in good structural shape vinyl wall-covering in my '74 Tri-Cabin with excellent results.

I used Rustoleum gloss-white (quart) $7-ish paint from Lowe's (I believe it was polyurethane paint). They still carry it.

Save your money, the Rustoleum works great. Trust me, if you do a good job and don't get it all over your trim wood, it will look brand new.

I applied mine with a brush, to make sure I got it into all the little "squiggles" in the wall covering.

I have actually gotten several compliments on how it turned out. It has been a few years since I did the forward head cabin, and it still looks brand new (well, like I just painted it!). Super easy to wipe clean, too.
It came out so well, I actually painted the ceiling with it in the head, too. Really brightened up the room. Well worth the effort.

Just a FWIW.
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Post by JuiceClark »

I painted mine and am pretty happy with it. I just used a foam roller and rolled a brite white, one part marine paint I had left over from something else. It really freshened up the place.
Since that worked well, I just kept rolling and rolled the hard ceiling in the salon too. It came out great.
TC
tgcasey

Post by tgcasey »

Thanks for the information...

Did you use the primer as an undercoat? I was thinking of using exterior Latex and tint it the "warm tan" that the wife wants...

What do you guys think of exterior Latex or should I stick with the rustoleum and have it tinted?

Thanks again
Coralkong
Sporadic User

Post by Coralkong »

I would use oil-based before I used latex paint....

I know that the Rustoleum stuff comes in many different colors. Look for it in the quart cans. Don't know if you can custom tint it or not, I just went for the stock "Gloss White".

Wish I had a can handy, I could even tell you the sku#, but it is down at the boat, and I sit here at work in front of a computer....*sigh*

Why is it the weeks are so long and the weekends are so short?
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

Im a big Rust o leum fan myself, I use it on everything, last forever and is very affordable, they make a primer as well, Im not sure if its considered oil based, mineral or what, but I do know they use their own mixture, as alot of paints are not compatable with it, until it cures, so be careful mixing different brands. I ususally stay with one brand anyway.
I just finished painting my draw fronts, and cabinet fronts with the rustoleom textured stuff, comes in a can , it looks great. hopefully this weekend Ill get to the actual cabinet frames around my galley, they are fine, but look chipped all over and just need a fresh up, I highly rec that stuff. just som info, you know rustoleum was originally used for marine applications. so indoor stuff is a bonus

my last boat was a sailboat and I actually painted the hull (against everyones advice) with it, and it lasted two seasons in the salt water, with minimal touch up , prep work is key
1983 10 meter express
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

I certainly wouldn't advise painting a boat with something you know nothing about. And I certainly wouldn't go to all of the prep work (80% of the job) to get 2 seasons out of a paint job.

There are marine paints for a reason - the marine environment is harsh. Oil based paints will mold (my house is 30' from salt water, and the oil based rails are a mess - going to Polyurethane for trim when its repainted this year).

In my opinion - if its worth doing, do it right ... your time is too valuable (and would be 80-90% of the cost if you paid someone else to prep/paint it).
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Coralkong
Sporadic User

Post by Coralkong »

I'm sure $129/gallon paint would look great on the wallpaper, too....

Probably would look just as good as the $8 stuff fom Lowe's when you were finished.
:lol:
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Rust o leum makes a marine paint thats works well and is not costly but it works well in trim and some panels I have done . lowes has it
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
g36
Moderate User

wallcovering

Post by g36 »

would this wall covering that is being discussed be the same type that is in my head on my 78 f32? if not any thoughts? i have also been wanting to do something with this area of my boat. never thought about paint that would be much easier than trying to find some other wall covering that would hold up to getting wet.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Dan Faith
Sporadic User

Post by Dan Faith »

I have painted wallpaper on my 30 ft sport fisherman and put wall paper on the fiberglass and plywood. Import thing is to seal first so I went to a wallpaper and paint store and they said to paint first all seams must be tight, if so seal with zinsser. Go the the following site and you can see the products specifficaly designed for what you want to do.

http://www.zinsser.com/subcat.asp?CategoryID=1
Dan Faith
Toy Box

Trojan F32
Trojan 30' sport fisherman
Sea Ray 17'
Beach Craft Bonanza N35
Corvette
jon_e_quest
Sporadic User

Post by jon_e_quest »

There are far better primers available than Kilz brand. Go to your local Lowe's (Valspar trained) or other paint retailer and tell them what you are planning. Not many would recommend Kilz for any project.
Current Boats:
1972 35' Chris Craft Commander
1962 18' Chris Craft Cavalier

Former Trojans:
1972 F-36 Tri-Cabin
1976 F-26 Express HT
1978 F-25 Express HT
Bob Korts

painted walpaper

Post by Bob Korts »

I have a 91 12 meter and have painted all the wall covering with latex paint. I also updated the galley counter with a process called miracle method that looks like solid stone. Replaced the deep pile carpet with teak and holly and now I have a boat that looks and feels like a boat.
12 Meter International Express