V.A.T.

Use this forum to comment on subjects **not** related to Trojan boats or boating. We provide this area as an outlet for general comments and issues of the day.

Note: Our intent is to make this area un-moderated or more accurately -- self moderated. We will, however, implement sanctions for troublesome posters as required (contact the Moderator with questions or complaints -- moderator@trojanboats.net).

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

alexander38
Ultimate User

V.A.T.

Post by alexander38 »

How high do you think it'll be? I'm thinkin 15 percent. And health care will be free just like in Mass. Hahahahaha!
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

is a VAT something the Republicans are advocating? I don't think it's something that's on the Democratic agenda...
larglo
Moderate User
Location: Mt Juliet, TN. Percy Prist Lake, Fate Sanders Marina

Post by larglo »

Sorry,,,,but this is on the Democratic agenda!

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
http://www.photobucket.com/larglo
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

ahhh...not
Tuck
Moderate User

Post by Tuck »

peter, you do realize that (God, i hate to even say or type his name, and i'm sure as hell not going to call him the president) obama's (notice the LOWER case first letter of the name) finanacial guy was all over the news last week stating the need for a VAT, right?
Terran
1986 Silverton 40' Aftcabin

Terran
(former 1977 F-32)
larglo
Moderate User

Post by larglo »

Peter,

Read this column
-------------------------------------

Acknowledging it would be a highly unpopular move, White House economic adviser Paul Volcker said Tuesday the United States should consider imposing a "value-added tax" similar to those charged in Europe to help get the deficit under control.

A value-added tax is a national sales tax that, like state and city sales taxes, would be collected by retailers.

Volcker, a former Federal Reserve chairman, told a New York panel on the global financial crisis that such a tax is "not as toxic an idea as it has been in the past."

"If, at the end of the day, we need to raise taxes, we should raise taxes," he said.

He also said that Congress might also have to consider new taxes on carbon and energy.

A White House official asked for comment, said, "The president has passed historic tax cuts for middle-class families and continues to push for more tax cuts. The president is not proposing to cut the deficit at the expense of middle-class families."

The value-added tax suggestion was immediately met with outrage by Republicans.

"It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Obama White House would advocate a European-style tax to help finance their European-style government health-care plan," said Brian Walsh, a spokesman for the National Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee.

Click here for more on this story from the New York Post.

----------------

Hope this helps.

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

thanks Larry, once again I'm sadly misinformed. I hate being a mushroom.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

you mushrooms coming out to vote for this P.O.S. is why all of us right wing Redneck types are so pissed, You still need to educate yourself Peter. Please shut NPR off and listen to some real NEWS. :wink:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

larglo
Moderate User

Post by larglo »

"Acknowledging it would be a highly unpopular move, White House economic adviser Paul Volcker said Tuesday the United States should consider imposing a "value-added tax" similar to those charged in Europe to help get the deficit under control."

-----------------------------------------------

Has anybody ever seen the government raise taxes to put toward a program they say, they will? Not in lifetime.

They will start a VAT tax and tell us it will be used to lower the deficit, but instead use it for something else, or another program, and then wind up tax us for that program too.

Has anybody ever seen the government use any raised taxes, as it was intended for? Not in my lifetime!

Healthcare will wind up just like Medicare and SS,,,,,,BROKE! In fact, it's broke already and hasn't even started yet! They have to tax us for 4 years before it even kicks in, in 2014/5.

Forty seven percent of the people, do not pay income taxes, in this country.

Anyone who works in this country, should be required to pay their fair share of taxes. Even if it's just $15.00! If they did that now, we would not have a deficit.

Why should 47% of the people get to enjoy all the benefits on the backs of those who have to shell out their hard earned money that provide those benefits? I'm not just talking about the low wage people, but people who make in excess of $50,000.00, per year, are not paying taxes!

There is just so much taxes even the rich can stand, before they say, crap, why should I work my rear off to make a living, just to give it to the government!
A company must be strong and making a profit in order to hire more people and keep them!

There are also some very scary things going on around the world, but that's another story. Very dangerous things this president could get us into, because he doesn't know what he's doing, and the people he takes advise from, don't either!

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
Jersdevil
Moderate User

Post by Jersdevil »

larglo said:
I'm not just talking about the low wage people, but people who make in excess of $50,000.00, per year, are not paying taxes!

I make in excess of 50,000.00 per year and certainly pay taxes. I just filed mine Saturday and paid with my AMEX card (gotta get those membership rewards points :P ). I even pay Federal and State income tax on my military retirement pay.
Hank Newman
"Winsome" 1979 - F30 Clean Machine
First Sergeant, U.S. Army Retired
Co-Owner Don Snyder
larglo
Moderate User

Post by larglo »

Hank,

Was only going by what I hear on the TV news. I know I always paid taxes before I retired (6 yrs ago) and I was making less than $50,000.00 for sure.

I'm wondering just WHO, we can trust and believe, these days?

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

ok you want to be pissed well here's one that will piss you off as of the 15th of this month my Navy retirement check goes right to the IRS to pay my taxes and I'll still owe the state ! So you left wing types, please stay clear of posting some pro give me more BS you'll get N.G.F.S. on target.
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

Jersdevil
Moderate User

Post by Jersdevil »

Larry...no worries. I do not believe anything the media says when it comes to government and weather. I did my twenty and retired got a great job workking my a$$ off for 3 times what I made in the military, first year in the civilian job arena I had to shell out an additional $11K in taxes on tax day. I have been retired from the military for 18 1/2 years and have only received 1 that's one tax refund from the federal government. That was last year, cause in 2008 I was out of work for 10 months. They got my refund back this year.
Hank Newman
Co-Owner Don Snyder
larglo
Moderate User

Post by larglo »

This is what I was basing my previous post on, concerning the 47% of people not having to pay any income tax, on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

By STEPHEN OHLEMACHER, Associated Press Writer Stephen Ohlemacher, Associated Press Writer – Wed Apr 7, 5:38 pm ET

WASHINGTON – Tax Day is a dreaded deadline for millions, but for nearly half of U.S. households it's simply somebody else's problem.

About 47 percent will pay no federal income taxes at all for 2009. Either their incomes were too low, or they qualified for enough credits, deductions and exemptions to eliminate their liability. That's according to projections by the Tax Policy Center, a Washington research organization.

Most people still are required to file returns by the April 15 deadline. The penalty for skipping it is limited to the amount of taxes owed, but it's still almost always better to file: That's the only way to get a refund of all the income taxes withheld by employers.

In recent years, credits for low- and middle-income families have grown so much that a family of four making as much as $50,000 will owe no federal income tax for 2009, as long as there are two children younger than 17, according to a separate analysis by the consulting firm Deloitte Tax.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got this from the Drudge Report.

Larry
Larry - 1980 F25 HT

"Lady G"
Mt. Juliet, TN
Jersdevil
Moderate User

Post by Jersdevil »

I wouldn't mind paying taxes if it was even across the board. Lets do away with all of the deductions and charge everyone a flat 10% income tax. No deductions, no loop holes, no credits.
Hank Newman
Co-Owner Don Snyder