Orinigal wall paper removal

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Orinigal wall paper removal

Post by Bob Giaier »

My wife and I are in the middle of rebuilding our new (new to us) 73' tri cabin. I call myself the laborer and she of course is the decorator. Her plan is to make the boat look like the 70's styles. I'm not exactly sure what that means.. but I'm hoping she doesn't use too many peace signs and flourescnent light posters. Anyways, she is trying to get the wall paper off the walls. In most places it just pulls off, but areas like the walls in the aft head and the wall directly opposing the aft cabin stairs/wall, the stuff won't come off. I'm trying to let her do here thing while I pull fuel tanks and rebuild the aft deck. You know heavy labor stuff that has to do with whether the boat floats or runs. I guess the decorating is important too.

Any suggestions (on the wall paper removal) would be appreciated.

Bob
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Is she using a heat gun to soften the glue on the vinyl backing?
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

It's a horrible job. I found that a heat gun doesn't really help because it makes the vinyl tear more easily. I guess it depends on how anxious you are to get the old stuff off. Using the sharp corner of a paint scraper while applying traction to the vinyl will SLOWLY remove it, if you don't mind spending hours, and hours, and hours [ and it takes good hand strength]. On the other hand it's quicker to fabricate new panels out of 3/8 plywood for the covered panels. Can also, in other areas just cover the old stuff. Can't really use wallpaper to cover the old stuff because the original vinyl is textured [and the pattern will show through]. By stapling new vinyl covering along the edges, stretching very well, using trim to cover the staples you also get a very nice effect.
I recently bought some marine vinyl, [leftovers] for a song, and it looks awesome. [About halfway done the master stateroom]

you can also paint over the old vinyl [not first choice]
good luck
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

If the heat gun is used sparingly it will loosen the glues stick without softening the vinyl... I do agree it is a lot of work to pull it off and then the cleanup of the wood base becomes even more of a chore... so if the existing surface is not full of tears do what I am doing....
I am just covering my old vinyl with new as the surface is undamaged but just old looking.
Michael
Done Dreamin'
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

A friend of mine just painted the vinyl in his F-32 and looks great.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

They make wall paper remover. It works OK, but theres really no sortcut to the elbow grease method.

If done carefully, oven cleaner may work ... but be sure to ventilate (for your health).
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

First of all thank you for the great suggestions. We will try the heat gun next weekend. We've been hauling the heat gun up to the boat with all the other tools for the last month and never used it. Go figure.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Gaian

Post by Gaian »

I just bought the same boat and am going to have to do the same t hing. Let us know how it comes out and post some pics of the finished product.

Gaian
1973 36' Tri Cabin
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

We covered our old vinyl with new vinyl wallpaper last weekend... my better half said it was no problem.
Purchased the vinyl paper from Home Depot and the lady there said to just treat with vinyl size to prep the old vinyl surface.

Going back up next week and will try to get some photos... 'tis a small space so they may end up being meaningless.
Once she did the paper she decided the old counter tops and backsplash looked pretty bad (which I had removed to make the papering easier to hide behind joints) so they are now at my local counter top joint (as templates) along with new marine ply and I should have new one's by the end of this week.
My new composting head arrived yesterday so I will be getting that setup too.
Michael
Done Dreamin'
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

and now it will never stop....... :?
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

Just a follow up on the idea of using a heat gun. We did try the heat gun last week and it does work. The problem now is that we have allot of glue residue left on the wall. We tried sanding with a mouse sander with 80 grit. We blew up the sander. Seems like there must be a better way. I'm considering a belt sander on it now.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Your experience is one of the reasons I concluded that the best route was to cover the old as it did not have major damage.

How thick is the glue residue?
How thick is the Vinyl paper you are putting on the wall?
Is it a smooth finish or does it have some surface structure to it?
Will applying vinyl size and new paper not hide these imperfections?

Our new paper had a surface design pattern which hid any imperfections, even the seams of the old paper after we applied it.
I suggest you look at new vinyl paper with some surface structure and not worry about it........ I don't think a glass smooth finish to start with will give any better finished look to the area.
Michael
Done Dreamin'
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

I do believe you're right on putting a vinyl paper over it. We were going to paint it instead. I'll report back on which way we go.. thanks for your help
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

I just finished redoing the forward stateroom with vinyl. I used Marine grade vinyl, mostly over the old vinyl paper, because of the nightmare removing the old stuff, the glue residue, and the bits of ply pulled off by the glue. I attached the vinyl with a combination of indoor outdoor double-sided carpet tape, staples, and 3M spray adhesive. Vinyl wallpaper will show all the substrate defects.

I'm now finishing the top of the closets, [which was covered in a horrible orange marble formica] with teak [jointed/planed today]. Good luck.