Bilge issues with F-28

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gofish103
Sporadic User

Bilge issues with F-28

Post by gofish103 »

are F-28's bow heavy?????? all of my bilge water runs to the bow of the boat in the v-berth. I have a bilge pump there but just doesnt seem right.

Now I have never filled the water tanks the engine room, this weight ballast the boat to allow the water to run to the stern? Dont know. or is the added weight just that?
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

My bilge water also goes to the bow to be picked up by the forward bilge pump.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

So where is all the H2O coming from? My 30' Sea Raider has a bilge pump in the bow but it has never run and everything up there is dry. My stern bilge pump only runs in stormy weather.....just curious, my boat is very dry.. I'm in a covered berth, I'm sure that helps............John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
gofish103
Sporadic User

Post by gofish103 »

most of it is rain water, I hope! but my rear pump has never ran since owning the boat.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

wish I had that problem

Post by larryeddington »

If I every get my boat in the water I will be glad to let you know what my f28 does.

LOLO

Larry
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
yzf195

Post by yzf195 »

My f28 allways collectes in the bow and the front pump takes care of it
1978 Trojan F28 "lakehaus"
2010 Glastron GX225
pnmudge

Post by pnmudge »

gofish103 wrote:most of it is rain water, I hope! but my rear pump has never ran since owning the boat.
Yup, same with me
F-28 1976
twin 318 Chrysler
jon_e_quest
Sporadic User

Post by jon_e_quest »

The lowest point in the bilge of all semi-displacement (a.k.a. semi-vee) hulls is foward in the forefoot where the 'vee' is at it's deepest. This also happens to be where the cabin sole is stepped down in many designs, a trick used to make the most of the available headroom. Don't let the water get too deep up forward in these designs or your feet will be sure to get wet!
Current Boats:
1972 35' Chris Craft Commander
1962 18' Chris Craft Cavalier

Former Trojans:
1972 F-36 Tri-Cabin
1976 F-26 Express HT
1978 F-25 Express HT
gofish103
Sporadic User

Post by gofish103 »

ok, sounds like im ok, just seams like a strange design!
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Low point being in the bow is standard for the F series boats. Water in the bilge typically comes from rain (through hatches in the aft deck) or dripping through the shaft or rudder stuffing boxes, or overflow from when you fill your fresh water tank... (in mine the overflow hose goes to the bilge...).
gofish103
Sporadic User

Post by gofish103 »

is the bow area where everyone is tapping into the hollow keel to put a bilge pump in??

this design really bothers me, if something major happens and there is a failure with the front bilge pump. there is no where for that water to go except up into the berth!!! What a mess that would be!!

does anyone have a picture of the hole cut into the hollow keel?
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Lets keep things in perspective -- the hollow keel doesn't really hold that much water. Maybe 10 gallons at most. If something drastic happened and the boat started taking on water, its not like it will sink like a stone bow first... it will settle. If the forward pump doesn't kick in, once the boat settles low enough for water to make it to the aft pump, it will kick in (as long as your limber holes are clear). The boat won't sink any lower until the aft pump quits, which isn't likely until the batteries are dead.

If the boat is underway and planing, because of the bow rise, the aft pump will be at the lowest point - any water from leaks or otherwise will run to it and be evacuated.

Bottom line - as long as you make sure your pumps remain operational, limber holes are clear, and the batteries are good, you are in good shape. Rigging something to try to drain the keel as well is an optional / preference item.