Checking Transmission Fluid

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Checking Transmission Fluid

Post by The Dog House »

I know that transmission fluid needs to be checked hot. My question is, does the transmission need to be recently in gear or is running the engine in neutral good enough? I want to change my transmission fluid while the boat is on the trailer, but would prefer to not put the engine in gear while it is on the trailer. If running the engine in neutral will fill all of the tubes, etc. in the transmission, it will be a lot easier/safer.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Run it and check it right away . I do like to kick it in and out of gear but I would wait till I am in the water for that . On land neutral should be fine

Edit ;I forgot to say shut it off then check it
Last edited by prowlersfish on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

I'm not a marine mechanic like Paul, but I downloaded the operation manual for the velvet drives in my tri-cabin. One thing the manual said could be done was to check it hot like you are talking about and make sure it is full. Then let it cool down to normal ambient temps and then mark the dipstick at the current level which represents a full level at cold temps. That will allow you to check it cold at anytime.

Just a thought.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Tim is correct

BTW I should have posted ; Its run it ( warm it up ) and shut it down and check it Right away , I forgot to say shut it down .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Natchamp
Sporadic User

Post by Natchamp »

Good timing on this as I need to verify the oil level in my Velvet's. Doing it right after a run is a pain in the you-know-what. Does anyone know approximately what the cold level should be on the dip stick? That would help out a ton and allow me to at least make sure I'm close.