LED Lighting and in General

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

vickyb

LED Lighting and in General

Post by vickyb »

My galley has two fluorescent lights and my bedrooms have two reading lamps... Want to replace them with LED's Not sure where to get them for my boat.. any suggestions? Please remember I am in Canada so less access to stores

Thanks much
87 Trojan International
Fiberglass Hull
ready123
Ultimate User

Re: LED Lighting and in General

Post by ready123 »

Online... this site below has how to identify the bulb for your existing units. Also the fluorescents may not be that bad for the galley as they are intermittent use and likely quite bright. The reading lamps in your CABIN :wink: are better replaced by LED as the beam is focused and likely used longer...
While you are at it get an anchor light replacement LED..... No need to do navigation/running lights as you have the engine to carry the load while underway.

http://store.marinebeam.com/

I use this guy:
http://www.doctorled.com/index.htm
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

HI there---- just replaced all my interior overhead lighting with led fixtures,got them from an RV store,they even had them on the shelf so you could look at them---- same sizes and all----- and deep cycle batteries from Costco ,they are fresh with dates and the kirkland brand at last account was made by Johnson controls which are good batteries--- decent price as well---- Mike
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

For the fluorescents, remove old fixtures and replace with LED tape lights. They come in a roll, i think 16 feet long, has self stick adhesive on the back. Just cut to length, sick on, and connect to wires from old lights. Can be bought online, Home Depot also carries them.
1981 10 meter Trojan International
Lean Wolf

Post by Lean Wolf »

I just replaced 18 lights in my boat. Bought them from all over the internet. One of the companies I used the most is Lunasea Lighting. Reasonably prices, decent products.
Drew
1979 Trojan F44, Detroit 6-71's
Chopped 47 Ford, 460 CI
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i have replaced bulbs on my boats with leds alot from the following companies and anywhere else if i found they had good prices and what i was looking for. one thing you must look at the operating voltage of the bulb DO NOT get one that just says 12v and no range to the description. they will work but not very long. these are meant for running with a nonvariable power supply voltage not on a boat. remember just like a car there will changes in your 12v system up and down 11 to 14.5vdc or so maybe a tad higher from time to time and you need bulbs that will give you that working range tolerence say from 10-16vdc. there will be plenty of bulbs that will be out there just make sure you check out the specs before just seeing 12v and think you good to go.
lots of bulbs from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ and amazon and even ebay
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

Check out Lee Valley Tools in Canada. Just insalled led strips in the salon & galley. Outstanding