Tri-Cabin new owner

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tumblehome

Tri-Cabin new owner

Post by tumblehome »

Hi everyone,
New member here and I just want to introduce myself. I've been reading a few posts off and on. Looks like there's some good experience on this site. Hope I can pick up a few pointers. I bought a basket case 1972 Tri-Cabin a few months back. It's really rough, horrible condition. I have it stored in a 40 x 24 x 14 ht barn and my intention is to refurbish it completely. The goal is to use it as a trawler and cruise at hull speed or slightly above. I plan to remove the Chrysler 400ci 280s and install a pair of small diesels. Long before I get to putting in the different engines I'll need to replace bulkheads, most likely some stringer work, and generally re-do the entire interior and aft cockpit. I'm sure there will be more issues that I haven't even learned of yet. So, I'm viewing this as a multi-year project. My wife made me promise to get caught up on the honey-do list first. My last project boat put me way behind on the various home repairs and maintenance tasks. I'm located in SW Michigan. Ed
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Welcome aboard, Tumblehome. This is an excellent site for Trojan info. The folks are knowledgeable and friendly. I spent some time on Boatdiesel.com and even paid a years membership when I was planning for a diesel repower. Looking forward to hearing more about your project.
Danny
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
David Kane
Sporadic User

Post by David Kane »

Hi Tumblehome:

I've got a '75 tri-cabin. Bought it a few months back, so I'm in the same boat as you-all pun intended!!! Our boat, as well as our home, is in Sandusky, OH, so I'm not that far away from you. The boat was in pretty good condition-some rot in the aft port area, but I've now got that all replaced. Also had the canvas completely redone-where it covered only the bridge area, I now have it all the way back over the cockpit area to both extend the liveability area and protect it from the elements. Hope to get some pictures of it to post once it's out of inside storage. I'm the one who really wanted the boat, and my wife was grousing about this and that about the boat, but after we left the Cleveland Boat Show & she saw the new boats, she now likes our boat better than anything she saw up there. Moral of the story-they don't make them like they used to-you've got a great platform in your boat. Hang with it & it will be most rewarding.