Looking to buy a Trojan

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

AQUAHOLIC1

Looking to buy a Trojan

Post by AQUAHOLIC1 »

We have a few Trojan's on our lake and my father likes the looks of them. He has contemplated buying one but doesn't know what to look for. Between the two of us we have seven boats so we are not new to boating. We have had a few houseboats throughout the years but never a sportfishing type boat. Is there anything to stay away from or make certain you get? Thanks for the help. Ryan
AQUAHOLIC1

Post by AQUAHOLIC1 »

I am located on Lake Hartwell in the upstate of S.C. He mainly wants it to bum around on the lake. We have a few resturants on the lake and he wants to load up a few people to take dinner cruises. He also wants a boat that he could possibly have shipped to Charleston if he wants.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

There is only one person who can anser that . and thats your father . when you pick a boat your the one who has to like it. Trojans are good boats . they all have their pros and cons . take the F36 you may find one in great ( better then new ) shape Like Juice clarks . The next one in good shape with geat engines ( mine ) or one like thats near mine with soft decks ,bad engines etc. (a dieing doc Queen). find the model(s) you like post what it is and we can tell you what to look out for , and get a survey !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

How large of a boat are you looking for? 25-30 ft range or larger? Single or twin engine? Provide a little more information. The internet is a great resource when it comes to locating a specific type, manufacturer or size boat. To find a Trojan in good shape you will probably need to travel a little-there seem to be some in FL and the upper Midwest (great lakes region and Northeast. (with the main plant being in Lancaster PA that would figure).
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Any boat is a compromise...never big enough, too big, too slow, too expensive to run, too small for those waves, too much draft for that creek & on & on. The hard part is deciding what you would best enjoy doing with a boat and then try to find the best one you can do it with. 'Dual purpose ' boats usually don't do either very well. An F-36 would be a lot of upkeep and expense for a lake boat, but a pontoon wouldn't work very well off of Charleston either. I agree with prowlersfish...find a prospect and post some questions.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
Boat28

Boat trade

Post by Boat28 »

I have a 1986 Trojan Tri-cabin I want to trade in on another Trojan. I would sell boat