Trojan cockpit wood trim

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

davescarrs
Sporadic User

Trojan cockpit wood trim

Post by davescarrs »

I just bought a 1987 Trojan 10 Meter Express. The cockpit has teak wood trim across the top of gunwales and across the transom. Do you guys apply teak oil to it or use Cetol for a shiny look? Thanks.
ltbrett

Post by ltbrett »

I stripped mine down and applied two coats of cetol light. Every year I scuff with a scotch brite and add another coat. It looks great and lasts all season with zero maintenance. I do the same for my swim platform and bow pulpit.

Brett
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

I just refinished my teak swim platform with the new Cetol Teak and it came out POIFECT! Follow the directions on the can and you can't go wrong. I used regular Cetol about 3 years ago and it lasted that long without the suggested recoat each season (that's why I refinished the platform!). I sanded down to bare teak and applied as directed. The Cetol Teak does not have the orange tint like the other Cetols and leaves a nice semi-gloss finish. I may have to add non-slip for the last 2 coats but will try it out "as is" this spring before I remount the platform.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

i spent over 100 hours reviving my teak and it gets great comments. VARNISH, love it or leave it :twisted: :twisted: looks the best. Just remember to use penetrol on the first few coats
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
Coralkong
Sporadic User

Post by Coralkong »

Uhhh, 100 hours is 2.5 WEEKS of straight 8 hour days of work.

No thanks.

Cetol works great. Took about 1 day to get the whole thing done. In 3 coats, with cleaning. (1 part of the boat at a time, mind you...in the summer). LOOKS DYNAMITE!

Varnish is for sailboaters and fags.

LOL, JK......

Sorry, not trying to offend. Just a joke we have on our dock. Just a joke....
Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

well there are a coupla Snail botes close to me. but no rainbow striped flags. :lol: :lol:
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
JuiceClark
Moderate User

got wood?

Post by JuiceClark »

I think sometimes the wood is the problem. I put wood around the cockpit and used Pau Lope instead of teak. (sometimes called Ipe, Brazilian Walnut, Ironwood, etc) It doesn't need anything. It's so hard that is was a bitch to router. But the stuff never rots or gets soft.

So, if you want to save hundreds on varnish, sandpaper and time...just spend an extra hundred on some good wood. This is with a wipe of teak oil:

Buckknekkid
Sporadic User

Post by Buckknekkid »

this will help,, after a season of hard partying is still looked good

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showth ... post188224
F36 ~
SHES SOLDDDDDD
seavita

what is the original wood

Post by seavita »

I am in the midst of refinishing my cockpit wood on a 1977 f-36 cant really tell what it is...some say teak some say mahogany....anyone know for sure??? I took nearly 15 coats of that ugly orange sikkens off and want to maybe oil it and varnish....anyone else??
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

My 1977 F26 is teak trim in cockpit and teak inside cabin. Owners manual reconfirms this.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Depends on your personal preferences and how much time you have to do the maintenance required.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
turtlem1969
Moderate User

Post by turtlem1969 »

I did the whole cleaning of the teak and putting teak oil on it, looked great for about two weeks then started fading away again, so i would suggest using the cetol.
BJ

1972 F25HT "Billy Bob"
1974 36' Tri-Cabin
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i use cetol light right now. i have no complaints about the product or the way it looks. it does last a long time and it is a breeze when touch ups or another coat is needed. the previous owner was using it and i have continued.i will admit that i do like the varnish look very much. i have the teak trim all the way around my cockpit, hatches and toerail on my f32. if i wasnt so lazy i would love to see it in varnish. but cetol it is for now.
Image[/img]
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

I like the look of Teak left natural when exposed to Salt water... the weathered grey look is so relaxed looking compared to any other finish. For that kind of exposure a good Teak cleaner is all that is needed.
I used to use Teak Oil in fresh water exposure which gave a nice bright look but does need upkeep... I have now moved to Cetol light for all my exterior Teak and am happy with the look and love the lack of maintenance.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL