11 Meter Express... opinions?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rpdwyer

11 Meter Express... opinions?

Post by rpdwyer »

Hello.
I'm looking at either a '88 or an '89 11 Meter Express and I am looking to hear from others owning this same model about what they like and dislike about theirs.

I hear a lot of 10 Meter owners indicating they like their ride... but never hear from 11 meter owners. Are 11 meter's scarce? Any well known problems regarding this make and year?

Finally, the boats I've seen have the crusader 454's in them... and I hear a lot of people saying they are underpowered. Well since I don't have the money to repower with diesels, I guess it's a moot point, but wanted to hear what others say about the 454's.

Thanks,
--Rick
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Well designed and engineered

lots of room in the engine room.

As with the 10 meter, the factory interior "decor" is dated, however the boats hard design and styling features are not.

As in the 10 Meter, 454 Crusaders were the choice in the day.

Marine propulsion options have come a long way in three decades.

I have been told that all Internationals larger than the 10 meter were built with a balsa cored hull. This is a fine design feature and has proven to be a quality build, however poorly installed thru hulls or an encounter with rocks can do tremendous damage, therefore a solid survey is necessary.

While the obvious difference between the 10 and 11 meter is only about 3 - 4 feet (33 to a 37) the total mass and displacement is far greater.

The 11 has a wider beam, allowing for a tremendous amount of usable space, far more than the additional length provides.

The 454 is a solid powerplant. Properly maintained and with good compression, correct props and a clean bottom, the boat will perform as it was designed.

However, overload the boat with too much gear, equipment and passengers, along with a full load of fuel and water, you might see a difference.

Before doing my repower, I considered trading up to an 11 meter. That boat with 370 diesels would be one very sweet ride.

The amenities over the 10 meter are space and convenience. A nice, large SUB ZERO fridge/freezer, lots of galley space, lots of counter space, lots of storage space throughout the boat including a very nice closet, a first class forward berth, great layout for a shared head, easy access to the electrical panel conveniently located above the dinette, lots of cockpit space.

From what I've been told, you can expect performance in the range of .6 nmpg @ crusing speeds.

You really need to talk with 11 meter owners for the full performance data.

Do some research and read the magazine reviews of this vessel. She was quite impressive.

These vessels represent a TREMENDOUS VALUE. This is a WHOLE LOTTA WELL DESIGNED AND BUILT BOAT for the market cost.

I would be looking at a diesel. 671's were the J&T Factory engines when the diesel option was chosen. Bulletproof and easy to maintain.

Here's one in Nawlins listed at 39,900.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/Tr ... ted-States

Good Luck,

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search for the right Trojan.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

RWS wrote:Well designed and engineered ...

RWS
Nice writeup RWS - that surely deserves a nomination for 2010 Trojan Boater of the Year!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I'll second that vote!!
Rnd

Post by Rnd »

RPD, Which 11 meter are you looking at? I've been looking at these for a while now{see my joined date} as RWS says these boats are layed out very nice. There seems to be a $ 30,000 premium for diesels you can buy alot of gasoline for that money. I put a deposit on one Thursday of this week it has 454's as well. If you haven't sea trialed one yet you need to. Although not alot of power that hull comes up on plane very quick and with very little bow rise. Good luck in your venture.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

30,000 premium for diesels worth every dime . there is more to them then just saving fuel .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I agree Paul, there are several things about diesels that outwiegh the additional cost. In a perfect world, that's what I would have in my dream boat. Having said that, IMO the additional expense can only be justified by the kind of boating you do, and whether you're going to stick with the vessel for the long haul since I'm a firm believer in nobody else realizing thier worth if I were to sell in a few years and expect to recover the additional expence. I know things change, but if you believe that your next purchase is your last, then I would go diesel if the pocket book allows.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Rnd

Post by Rnd »

Paul, we get the point...... but, where do you draw the line???? it is always a cost / benifit trade.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

I realize there is a cost issue, but reasonably priced diesel boats can be found in this economy.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Rnd

Post by Rnd »

rossjo, there maybe reasonably priced diesel "boats" in this economy but ther are only four 11 meter express boats that I'm aware of . Two of them are absoultly junk and the other two are $ 30,000 to 40,000 more than "nice" gas boats. Like I said you buy lots of gas for that.... That being said diesels are a very nice option but come at a large premium. 50% of asking price is NOT reasonably priced in my opion. If you are aware of any other 11 meter International express boats that are diesel please let us know, currently looking to buy. thank you.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Where do you draw the line ? is 50% more to much ? No clear answers on that for sure . For me I would not buy a boat much above 30 foot with gas engines . How much more would I pay ? that would depend on the boat and the engine . remember when you sell you will get more for the Diesel boat too . so the extra cost now you get back when you sell . Remember we are talking used now .

Now spending 80k on a re power of a 50k boat you would never get your money back . yet people do it . I would not , but I would pay a more for a diesel boat.

As I said there is a lot more to it then fuel savings .More then the added safety and reliability .

For Me if your going to really use your boat its the only choice , For others their fine with a large gas boat . But you wont find many With diesels that will go back to gas .

Boating is not about cost effectiveness , if it was we would all be in row boats .

Its what Makes you happy not me or anyone else
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D