F-36 Gas to Diesel

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rossjo
Ultimate User

1-2mpg

Post by rossjo »

I get 1-2mpg depending on driving style with twin Cummins 6BTAs ...

We harbor cruise at hull speed (7 knots) - or turn off the motors and drift many times (nice and quiet,and you can swim, since theres no current to contend with as when you're anchored).
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I will be cruising the bay for 9 days . will be doing a lot of marina hopping . some days running 22 knots or so other days may be 6-8 knots . I will reprot my fuel burn when I get back ,I never really cared before . But it felt good that it was cheaper to run the diesel f36 then the gas f30
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I did 1.26 MPG averge ( incl genset burn ). mostly on plane some slow speed running . I could have done better but was running with another boat that had a higher hull speed so the low speed running was a liltle faster then my hull speed , and on plane running was below my "sweet spot" not to bad . and had a great time .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

That's good efficiency considering the 'luxuries' you take wth you on a trip like that.....fridge, cookstove, A/C, hot showers, big bed, etc. I filled my tanks last week and it only took 64 gallons. That included all the test and tuning runs I did after the repower and a 60 NM round trip to Cape Lookout. We 'hull speeded' to New Bern last Friday and rented a slip at the Sheraton, went to a big 4th cookout at my son's place on Brice's Creek and all loaded on the Trojan at dark to anchor out in the Neuse and watch fireworks. Good weekend!! Oh yea, we ate breakfast twice at "Baker's Square'...delicious and within walking distance of the dock. I'm not ready to find a new hobby just yet due to fuel prices. Hey it's still a lot cheaper than a week at Disney World.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

If you consider the age of our boats, the lack of depreciation expense and considering that most of these boats are probably close to paid for with little or no interest expense, our collective Trojan boats fuel expenses are not really all that significant based on the total cost of boating that others in the newer brand X vessels are contending with.

RWS